Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Home Improvement Guy
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of refinishing our oak staircase. Will restain and polyurethane the treads, and paint the risers and stringers white. I'm thinking of doing the staining first, then all the painting once it's all dry. Is this the best way or does it not make a difference:blink:

·
Registered
442 Posts
ron schenker said:
I'm in the process of refinishing our oak staircase. Will restain and polyurethane the treads, and paint the risers and stringers white. I'm thinking of doing the staining first, then all the painting once it's all dry. Is this the best way or does it not make a difference:blink:
do your staining first and at least one coat of poly to seal it. That way if you get any drips from the paint they will clean up easier. good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
3rd for staining and poly first. I wouldn't have even bothered to speak up but the board software is yelling at me to say something.

·
Home Improvement Guy
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a bad thing when staining. I thought the dog was downstairs sleeping but after I finished staining I heard her upstairs laughing at me. "Im coming down and you can't stop me" she appeared to be thinking. It was a very hot and humid day yesterday and 3 hours after applying the stain, it was still somewhat sticky. I had to go up and get her before Mrs. Ron came home and Wishbone would come tearing down the beautiful new stairs to greet her . So I get some wax paper from the kitchen, lay down strips and walk up daintily on my tippytoes. I bring her down thinking everything is ok but upon inspecting the steps I see funny imprints. Bad dog! It's all your fault!
I was planning on a second coat of stain anyway, but now do I have to re sand the bad spots?
BTW..When I was staining I experimented with a natural bristle brush, lint free cloth, applicator pad, and foam brush. The appl. pad seemed to do the best job but went on pretty thick. What do you use?
P.S. I'm sure all you pros are laughing at me right now, but it really was Wishbone's fault:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
You might have to ligtly sand, just to blend out the foot prints. And then stain and then poly.

For stain I usually just use cotton rags (wipe on, wipe off). For poly I usually use a quality brush like a Purdy china bristle.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I was taught to start at the top and work down. I do ceilings, trim, walls and flooring. Some of the paint pros here do it differently, Dad taught me my way.

·
Home Improvement Guy
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very important update/bulletin....
It's going well except for the 48hr. drying times and the dog hair that just won't go away and only doing every other step per day so we can still go upstairs and getting stain on the areas that will be painted white, and endless sanding:furious: I hope I never have to do this again:shutup:
Why didn't you guys warn me that this would be the job from he!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Prime risers, stain treads and coat until done, then paint risers.
Hi there, is there any reason why you'd prime the risers first before staining and coating the treads? Trying to find guidance on this because I have seen differing opinions on the matter. Thanks!

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
162 Posts
Hi there, is there any reason why you'd prime the risers first before staining and coating the treads? Trying to find guidance on this because I have seen differing opinions on the matter. Thanks!
No there isn't. It wasn't a great suggestion IMHO. If you're a DIY'er, might wanna post any/all future comments & questions on DIY Home Improvement Forum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts