Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a job yesterday stripping and hanging paper, no problem there. However the ceiling has paper on it and you can see multiple layers. This is an old turn of the century home.

The room is 27' x 15' 9 1/2' tall. There is nice old crown molding.

The owner just wants a smooth painted ceiling and hanging a new drywall ceiling over the existing is ok with her, which is what I suggested as an alternative if the paper wont come off or there is bad plaster underneath.

My question: would you attempt to remove the paper or just plan to remove the crown, hang a new drywall over the existing ceiling, then reinstall the crown?

I am thinking the new drywall would be about the same amount of time and easier. Above the ceiling is an open attic with all joists exposed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I stripped one other papered ceiling years ago and it was a nightmare. I still get a cold sweat break out just thinking about that job.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,055 Posts
The safest is to skim over the paper, it it's tight to the ceiling.

You never know what size nail was used for the original trim install, and could wind up breaking some of the original crown / busting plaster trying to take it down.

You also don't know how that first layer of wall paper is glued on. If I was repairing / restoring the plaster, I'd take all the old wall paper off. I've spent 4 days on a single wall before, due to the original glue - horsehide or some other awful crap.

Cut out any bubbles, prime to keep from lifting any paper / bleed through (may not be needed), then treat it like a class 5 - just make sure you keep the edges scraped so you don't build up too much at the crown edge.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have a house that was built in the 1800's. When I bought it, every wall and ceiling in the house was wallpapered.

It was a bear to get the wallpaper off the walls. It was even worse for the several rooms we did the ceiling wallpaper removal.

Finally gave up and just put new drywall up. We put generous amounts of construction adhesive on the backside of the drywall and were liberal with the screws used. We used 2" screws to get into the wood lathe slate in the ceiling.

Also, my home is post and beam contruction so the joists in the attic are spaced 2'+ apart.

That was over 6 years ago, and they look just like the day we put them in. No problems whatsoever.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I've personally have never had a good experience skimming over wall paper. If the crown is wood I'd try cutting the nails rather then pulling them. It's probably coped so look for the last piece they put on and take it off

·
Registered
Remodel
31,055 Posts
As in bubbles in the mud, or bubbling wall paper? Typically, I'll prime the wall paper with Kilz (other stuff will do), then cut out any bubbles in the wall paper and spot prime as I go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hdavis said:
As in bubbles in the mud, or bubbling wall paper? Typically, I'll prime the wall paper with Kilz (other stuff will do), then cut out any bubbles in the wall paper and spot prime as I go.
The Gardz soaks into the wallpaper and locks it down so that when you skim with drywall mud the wallpaper doesn't blister

·
Registered
488 Posts
+1 skin with 1/4". Almost always cheaper, always faster and less headache..
Don't see how in this case. Are you going to remove the 100 year old crown then 1/4" then reinstall the crown? Or would you butt the 1/4" up to the crown and then caulk? No that wouldn't look right where it meets the ceiling. Could be wrong but back then if I remember not much coping most was mitered, which when replacing could open a can of worms.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I had my drywall sub look it over today.
I have thought stripping but this is my least favorite idea.
I could shellac over the wallpaper and skim.
Or remove the crown and hanging new drywall, reinstall crown.

Removing crown maybe a concern, but I think it may be the lesser evil. Thanks for the suggestions on how to remove the crown.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Keep in mind if you skim right over the paper, good chance the paper will soak up water and create bubbles everywhere, then parts of it will start falling off. I had this happen the last time i tried to skim over wall paper. There was a thin paper under the regular wall paper that was stuck on there pretty good. i tried priming then mudding over it then kept having to fight with it blister up. How about hot soap and water with a mop? Then a wire wheel on your angle grinder to get the paper off?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts