Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What places could I be hitting up for finish carpenter work? Things are super slow out here and finding remodel/addition jobs is tough so I need some small stuff to fill in the gaps. Just wondering what some good places are that I could solicit to find some work. Maybe there something I haven't thought of. I used to get tons of leads by word of mouth, but with so many people getting laid-off that not many people are really looking at upgrading their home right now. Any one have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
try putting fliers out in new developments, or reaching out to people that you did jobs before that were not finished 100%

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
What's going on with the rebuilds from the wildfires over the past few years, down in the San Diego area? Is that an option to go for a drive and see what's up?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I agree with all said. The work isn't going to pour in without effort for the next few ?????'s. There are still paying customers out there, we just have to use every resource we can think of to find them. I know it sounds wierd, but we doubled our advertisting budget for this year because of the bad economy. I'm doing anything I can to get my name out while all of my competion is pulling their ads. When the down cycle is over, I'll have taken a good portion of the branding and name recognition away from the ad pullers which will make it twice as tough and twice as expensive for them to get back when times start to boom. I personally like the inserts idea. Also, around here, the free swap mags such as American Classifieds or Thrifty Nickel (don't know what they are in your area) have been a great place to advertise b/c the demographic is all the way across the board.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try a business networking group. I just joined BNI, and after four meetings (two of which were before I actually signed up) I've gotten 3 leads, which will easily pay for the whole years dues, and then some.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I'm not being mean when I say this. Try it.

Sit down with a piece of paper and a pen. Write down the same question you just asked at the top of the paper. Give yourself 25 answers. No less. I will say that again, no less!

Now, just some advice on how you write your question. Spruce it up a little for cryin' out loud! Don't just say "Where's work?" It's a poorly stated question!

This is a proven method. I'm dead serious. You will find your answer.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Get a website and some serious SEO for your area, now you got something working 24/7/365 to get you some bidness... if you can manage to be on the top (first page) of any remodel search, you'll be alright.

Also have some 1000's of business cards made up and pass them around, Commercial buildings, neiborhood watch meetings, PTA meetings, Church etc., play it by the numbers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with Buck25. Networking. Contact all those guys who do other things than you do. Not the Jack of all trade but those specific job like deck buiders, fences, or funiture builders. You will never know what they will lead you in to. Hey but you must try.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've found after only a month that it's done wonders for my people skills, making small talk, speaking in front of a group, and constantly re-evaluating my services, and knowing when to sell a particular service over another. It has been totally leading me down that Michael Gerber path of working "on your business" rather than "in your business."

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Look to the neighborhoods that are established, big tree's, mature landscaping. Most of those communities have missed a bunch of the real estate mess. Obviously, some of them will be affected. But most of the people that bought 5 years ago had to put 20% down and had some equity, hopefully they didn't tap it and they are still in decent shape.
Run a room special for crown molding, give them 2 options, maybe 3" 12'x12' room, paint grade, $345.00 installed. 5", same room, $395.00 installed. Most times, the 4 3/4"-5", is cheaper than the 3" because it is what's being installed.
Your talking $50.00 in materials. Buy a gallon of swiss mocha and use it for 4-5 jobs, 1 case of caulk will last at least that, 500 fliers at the local Staples and get some excercise.
You could easily knock this out in a half day, maybe you would have your materials painted ahead of time and then just do the touch up after install.
Once you get in the door with a great value, you can "observe" other items they may need taken care of. New casing on the doors? Now the crown looks so good that the baseboard is dated? What to do? What to do, I know, you can give them another value added service.
If you can figure out the lowest price you are willing to work for, add 15% to that and all of the materials, you won't get rich, but you will eat.
Eating is good and opens up the door to have a feast down the road.
My company tagline is "Small jobs. Big help." I eat, sleep and breath this motto. No one is remodeling in my area, but $100-300 jobs sell still, especially since people have to stay in the home they have because they are upside down.
Give it some real hard thinking and you will find the price point where you can make a profit on small jobs and have fun performing your trade.
I'm off to get more fliers........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts