Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Carpenter
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lumber companies don't give out many pencils anymore and if they do they are garbage, barely get 2 marks before I have to re-sharpen and then the lead falls out :censored:

I'm looking to purchase a box of carpenter pencils but I want them to be quality. The best ones Ive run across lately have been made by Smart Side, came as a promo.

Does anyone know where online or in a store I could pick up some quality pencils?

I see Menards has Masterforce and Home Depot has Irwin by the box for around 15 bucks, but I don't know if there worth a crap?

Thanks.

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
What kind of work do you do most? I use these; get them from the drafting supply store. I put a 2H lead in it and use it for framing, concrete formwork, finishing...everything. Not cheap at $15 to $20 a pop, but I've been using the same one for almost two years now.

Pen Office supplies Ball pen Writing implement

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
For trim I always use #2 pencils. I can't remember the brand.

I just bought a small case of carpenter pencils at a local supplier, but I can't remember the name of those either. They are great though, probably the best I have ever used.

I'm headed out shortly, but I will report back tomorrow with the brands:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My yard has good hard leaded ones... Seems like you have to owe them about 2k to get a handful:laughing:

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Dustincoc said:
I've been using the Swanson refillable push point carpenters pencils for years. About 2 seconds to get a fres point with no tools and they never get shorter. The black leads they come with seem to hold up decent. There are red leads also available. The reds leave a decent mark but seem to break very easily. http://www.lowes.com/pd_167473-1099-CP216_0__?productId=1040529&Ntt=swanson+pencil&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dswanson%2Bpencil&facetInfo=
These are all I use anymore. I bought about 20 packs a couple years ago. I buy refills every so often and keep it all in a box on the truck. They work great for everything from concrete to trim. I highly recommend them.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Fat Boy Pencil from FastCap

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
I've been using the Swanson refillable push point carpenters pencils for years. About 2 seconds to get a fres point with no tools and they never get shorter. The black leads they come with seem to hold up decent. There are red leads also available. The reds leave a decent mark but seem to break very easily.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_167473-1099-CP216_0__?productId=1040529&Ntt=swanson+pencil&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dswanson%2Bpencil&facetInfo=
I tried those but the lead keeps moving while in writing

1 - 20 of 54 Posts