Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new job which i have started roughly a month and a half ago has been going pretty good, however now that i'm settled in, the helper that goes with me on the truck is terrible. for the last 2 weeks i've been having to cover my a$$ just to make up for his slacking off, slow moving, sloth like agility, crap attitude, struggling and making it obvious to the customers and making them feel uneasy about us, bad attitude towards customer, very unprofessional.

we've had 2 complaint letters that my boss addressed to us today, and after today i had enough. i waited for everyone to leave, i went back inside and spoke to the boss. i guess i'm just venting on here because i'm bs. i've been catching flack and the final straw is near for me as far as my job is concerned, and i'm sick of it. today in the work truck the helper that is with me is emptying his pockets re-organizing, and pulls out a bag of weed. anyone that knows me, knows i could care less what you do, if it's not interfering with work, do what makes you happy. but what in the HELL!!?!? i blew a fuse today. told the boss everything, i was extremely nervous about it because i havent been there long, and here i am about to bash his guy thats been there a year now. i was expecting a response along the lines of "ok, i'll talk to him". instead he flat out told me "he's gone, i appreciate you talking to me, because if no one is talking to me i dont know whats going on out there". i still feel awkward/unsure about talking to him. i just costed this kids job but at the same token he did it to himself. :censored: i dont know, maybe i'm hoping a few of you guys can calm my nerves my brain is going 100 miles an hour right now, i don't think i've ever caused someone to lose their job...

·
Registered
498 Posts
That kid cost his own job. I wouldn't want to work in construction around someone all doped up. It's dangerous for him and everyone around him. Plus your boss is wasting his money covering this guy with comp and unemployment since the employee won't collect anything if he has drugs in his system when he gets hurt.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Boy, you sure do complain a lot....oh! Did I say that out loud? Sorry.:whistling

Should of settled it offsite. A 36 inch extension pipe upside his head should of fixed things....just sayin'

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
so if the police pull you over, and find that weed? I'm thinkin that both of you would be out of work. You had no choice- survival. this kid needs to grow up, he's responsible for his own actions - done.

Now there's an employment opportunity for someone who might appreciate it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
freemason, I have seen many of your posts and I have no doubt you are a good hardworking, knowledgable guy. What comes to my mind is the weed thing though. You know as good as I do if this kid was going in his pockets inside a home or in front of a HO and a bag of weed hits the floor the HO's call to the owner would be "Your GUYS are smoking weed on my job"

Its a shame the kid would loose his job but perhaps it will serve as a lesson to him. All in all I think you did the right thing and had I been in the same situation you described I would have done the same.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
you werent the cause of him losing his job, his unprofessional attitude and behaviour lost the job.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so if the police pull you over, and find that weed? I'm thinkin that both of you would be out of work. You had no choice- survival. this kid needs to grow up, he's responsible for his own actions - done.

Now there's an employment opportunity for someone who might appreciate it.
not only would i probably be fired, but i'd also lose my commercial drivers license, as some of you know i've taken work driving trucks again until things pick up because i cant find anything in construction right now, whatever i'm doing what i need to do to survive for now. i'm still working part time with a friend on the weekends so i'm not completely out of the game...

anyway there's a zero tolerance for CDL license holders. what the truck driving school i went to said is ANY drug charge will result in me losing my CDL forever. even if i'm walking down the road and i had a little bag in my pocket and got busted, i lose my cdl. and for the record i dont touch drugs, alcohol or anything else, so this kid put my license in jeopardy, i expressed this to my boss tonight. we talked for an hour straight and i hope that if i was about to lose my job he now see's me as someone who is trust worthy valuable and honest, and own any mistakes i make because i do. and if i wasnt about to lose my job, i hope that he see's as even more valuable and trustworthy.

bottom line that i'm having a hard time with is i know the kid screwed up, i know he put himself in this position, but he wasnt going to be getting fired until i talked. i've never done this before and its unsettling.

cdat, as always, thanks for a very insightful post brother.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I'm glad your boss handled it the way he did. With the lead in I was expecting a different outcome after you talked to him. Sounds like you might have a good boss, sounds like you drew the line right where it needed to be.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
my new job...has been going pretty good, however...the helper that goes with me on the truck... [is] very unprofessional. we've had 2 complaint letters that my boss addressed to us today...[later] in the work truck the helper....[showed me his] bag of weed. told the boss everything...[and] he flat out told me "he's gone, i appreciate you talking to me''. ...i don't think i've ever caused someone to lose their job...

Guess what...a knot-head like that show's you his stash (it wasn't by accident that you saw it) and you try to "help" him by talking with him about it and guess who's losing their new job that's going pretty well within a day or two? ..you are.
If you had just ignored the whole deal it'd only have been a matter of time until both y'all got fired. If you had tried to give the helper a "hey...that ain't cool" it'd only have been a matter of time until he figured out how to get you fired. No one needs to put up with co-workers who are using on the job. And you can believe that someone who'll carry it on the job will use it.

·
Contractor
4,735 Posts
the boss handled it very well. Now it's your turn to turn around those bad service letters with whoever will be your new helper-get the new guy in line the very first day and exude awesome customer service. If you want to climb in whatever organization you are in, provide top knotch service and act professional.

you did the right thing, now carry on!

·
Registered
967 Posts
You may want to gauge the reaction of the other co-workers as they all could be smokers as well, and be making you out as the narc.
I know it went well with the boss but what about the guys? you will have to work with them.
Now would be a perfect time for you and your boss to make an impression on everyone, take command and let everyone know how it going to be from here on out.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
You did the right thing by telling the boss. Remember, if he is not on the jobsite he has NO idea what is going on unless someone is telling him.

There were a few weeks where I would be busy and get on the jobsite around 8 am. Then someone told me one of the guys has been taking hour and half lunches, and showing up at 7 30 and leaving when he wanted and he did it for a week or two before I was told. I then started to stay around the jobsite all day. Ending up having to fire him. Recently ran into a member of his family who told me he got heavy into drugs and is in rehab.

In the long run, you might have helped this kid. If he HAS to pay bills in order to stay alive and keep a roof over his head, he will clean up his act now. At least he should consider it.

Maybe you should have taken it from him and used some while you got home and relaxed a little bit :whistling

1 - 20 of 33 Posts