Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The basement is a crawlspace accessed via a 2/4 x 6/8 door, and a short ladder. Overhead down there is 46 inches.

Here is a plan of the main floor above that crawlspace.

Where would you put the panel?

Attachments

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
My first choice is an exterior combination service entrance/panel. You don't show where the service is.

Second choice would be behind the laundry closet door. It's a personal thing but I don't like panels in bedrooms.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Behind the bedroom door will reauire a disconnect and SER cable.
I would put it on the outside bedroom wall and save the expense. Hang a picture or something over it to hide it if necessary.
Why would SCR be required?

·
Registered
838 Posts
My Choice would be behind the Laundry room door. Second would be behind the bedroom door but I don't care for panels in bedrooms either..........

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I meant SER which is 4 conductors for isolating the ground and neutral as opposed to type SE which would only be three. The panel will be more than 5' from the entrance point into the building at the location shown behind the bedroom door.
Could you not use EMT, or rigid, or PVC, or IMC, or MC, or AC............?:shifty:

Besides, the 5' you refer to is a POCO rule, not an NEC one.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
This is an active thread on the JLC board as well.

IMO there would be no way to get the proper 36" clearance anywhere in the laundry room.
Also, many inspectors do not allow panels behind door because the proper clearances cannot be maintained.

An outside disconnect would be required if the panel were more than 5-6 feet inside the structure. This is in NYS.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
.........Also, many inspectors do not allow panels behind door because the proper clearances cannot be maintained...........
You can't close doors in NYS?

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Think about it. Clearances must be maintained. This is why something a simple as a pile of boxes or other storage in front of a panel is a violation.

How can you maintain the clearance if the door can be opened? A lock?
Sure, some inspectors do allow it, but some don't either.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Could you not use EMT, or rigid, or PVC, or IMC, or MC, or AC............?:shifty:

Besides, the 5' you refer to is a POCO rule, not an NEC one.
Yes you could but again inflating the cost of the service SER would be the least costly easiest solution provided it met local requirements. It would not around Chicago
I do not have a code book in front of me but I strongly believe that the 5 foot rule is a NEC requirement and not just a POCO rule.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I do not have a code book in front of me but I strongly believe that the 5 foot rule is a NEC requirement and not just a POCO rule.
It is not in the NEC. A specific distance is NOT mentioned.

230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
It is not in the NEC. A specific distance is NOT mentioned.

230.70(A)(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.
My point was Behind the bedroom door or behind the laundry room door would require a service disconnect either outside by the meter or just inside at the point of entrance. And in that case the panel would be treated the same as a sub panel. Correct?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Aye, there's the rub. You can generally expect the point of entrance to be an outside wall, no?

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's make this a little easier

Find the right place to put the main panel, using only the floor plan shown here. You have never seen the other plans, and this is all that is available.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts