Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fence Builder
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Craigslist? Autotrader? Local dealer? Auctions?

I am looking to pick up a powerstroke (hopefully :whistling ) sometime between now and Christmas. My 93 f150 has rust cancer and needs to be put to rest. What is the cheapest location to get them? If price is good I would fly in and drive home to NC.

Interested in how you guys go about tracking down your trucks/vans :thumbsup:

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
Last two have been newspaper in 2007 and Craigslist last month.

What it ended up being really doesn't tell the tale though. I do a pretty exhaustive search.
Don't count the newspaper out either. There's some gems in there. My ideal car is one that was purchased by a 70 year old man that has his game together and knows how to care for a car. He'll drive it about 5 years then sell it and get a new one. That guy doesn't use Craigslist. He only uses the newspaper.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Last two have been newspaper in 2007 and Craigslist last month.

What it ended up being really doesn't tell the tale though. I do a pretty exhaustive search.
Don't count the newspaper out either. There's some gems in there. My ideal car is one that was purchased by a 70 year old man that has his game together and knows how to care for a car. He'll drive it about 5 years then sell it and get a new one. That guy doesn't use Craigslist. He only uses the newspaper.
But then I'd have to buy a newspaper...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
no matter where you find used vehicles check the carfax and vehicle itself for signs of flood damage.

When I look for others I look on Craigslist, paper, thrifty nickel, E-Bay, and have a friend look on a sale site thru facebook.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Search tempest will look for whatever you want as far as your willing too drive to get it!!

I'll never buy a new one again, prices go up faster than wages and I'm hoping too be disabled before I need a new one lol

But too keep my van looking good I repaint her every spring! I figure the paint will be so thick it will be the actual body in a few years anyway!!

Oh and if I'm lucky enough to be disabled I can make it wheelchair accessible in a weekend!!

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
I got mine from a local dealership that does high-volume used cars/trucks in addition to their new stuff. They sell for a great price due to the high volume they push through that place.

I watched auto trader and this dealerships website for a couple weeks. They put this one up I think minutes before I saw it, and went in the next morning and got it.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I actually found the one I just bought on CarGurus. It was from my browser tracking my habits and advertisements on the pages I visited.

I had to put mine down due to rust also, could have got another 100,000 otherwise. It's a shame if not for the rust I got tired of trying to keep up with it looked 10 years newer. When the floorboard starting rusting through it was time to let go.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I used Autotrader for this one.

I was looking for a newer used truck in 2008. I was getting prices around the Philly area that were in the $35k range.

I increased my search radius in Autotrader to several hundred miles. I found my truck in December of 2008. It was a used 2008 F250, 4x4 Off Road edition, fully loaded with 817 miles, for $25k. I think it was a Wednesday. I left a deposit on my credit card and picked up the truck on Saturday. Couldn't be happier.

A search of my type truck on Autotrader still brings close to what I paid!

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I used every method mentioned in the thread. I found one, told it was there, drove 2 hours to get it just to be told it was not there. So be careful with that.

In the end it took me just going to a couple dealerships to find one. All that time searching on the computer just to be successful with the old fashion way.

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts
I never buy new, try for 2 years old. My current one I save 25k almost buying 2 years old.

Dealership.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
out of curiosity, I checked Autotrader and my truck is selling for more than I paid 7 yrs ago.
I have about 68k miles

1 - 20 of 25 Posts