Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy thats been working with me for 6 months got another job today and tomorrow will be his last day. So much for a two week notice.
I need to find some help pretty quick, I have a good size remodel going on and more coming in. How do you get reliable help? Run an ad? Where? Just ask around?
I thought about hitting a trade school and seeing if anybody was available there. It is a constant challenge to find good people.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Try several things---

My current assistant is the cousin of an old painter friend. Been with me 10 years or so.

Before him? I hired the best guy from the counter at the local Tile store--I used him part time (on his days off) -after a while he joined me full time--He lasted five years--

One of my best workers came from a help wanted add---that fellow was with me for 16 years.

Try several things and see what works---

·
Registered
403 Posts
Call the following to let them know you have an opening

1, Other contractors they might have layed someone off they want to help, know of someone, etc. They can also help you out of a jamb if they are slow

2. Your suppliers might know someone looking for a position in the trades and suppliers have a motive to help you

3. Call other help wanted ads you respect to see if they will share resumes with you

4. Post on facebook status so friends and family know

5. Call repeat customers to let them know you have an opening

6. Trade schools like you said

7. Previous employees that left on good terms sometimes have younger siblings in the trades looking for new opportunities

8. Bulletin board posting on your suppliers bulletin board

9. Email all appropriate contacts that might know of someone

10. Put a help wanted page on your website.

I am always looking for good help and don't stop looking as soon as I find what I need. If I discover a good catch I will create a spot for them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A guy thats been working with me for 6 months got another job today and tomorrow will be his last day. So much for a two week notice.
I need to find some help pretty quick, I have a good size remodel going on and more coming in. How do you get reliable help? Run an ad? Where? Just ask around?
I thought about hitting a trade school and seeing if anybody was available there. It is a constant challenge to find good people.
Craigslist has been useful for short notice and a Temp Agency is helpful as it can be used as a pre-screener but in this business it is always a challenge.

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
There is none around here......

Craigslist would probably be your best bet, but you might have to go through a few to get someone decent. A lot of them are just looking for a beer paycheck.

·
Kowboy
2,463 Posts
I was perusing Craigslist when I came upon an ad asking for experienced store fixture installers; there's a big new mall going in locally. I'm doing alright, but I'm not as busy as I'd like to be so I responded, telling them of my extensive experience but that I'm not cheap. I've gotten no response. Surprise.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Since I've moved from Chicago to Indiana, I haven't found a steady job, aside from dumping savings into my own fixer upper home. I'm on the other side of the fence, hopefully find someone like the OP whose looking for someone reliable. As a job seeker, I'm weary of craigslist though. You never know where you'll make a connection. The best bosses, employees, clients, can sometimes come from least obvious places.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've done most of my hiring either through referrals of contractor friends or kijijiji.

Either way I have about what I would say a 50-60% success rate regardless of how they get to me.

I've had great help over summers from kijiji, university students, post high school, etc.

Lately I've noticed that I am getting fewer and fewer people applying to my kijiji ads. Before I'd get 40 people. Now I get 7-10.

The easiest way for me to weed out rif raf is ask specific questions in the ad. If the person can't answer the questions then I won't consider them flat out. "Please attach a resume. If you don't attach a CV then I will NOT call you" ...

If you can't follow that simple request, how can I trust you to build stuff like I ask?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im not sure where you are located but I'm in North Jersey and I am a Project Coordinator for a top rated ENR company. Our company uses mostly union workers for trades however my husband is a non union construction worker and he has a very hard time finding a good company to work for. The problem is non union companies do not take care of their employees which forces good help to continuously look for a better employer. These "good" workers have families to support and can't live on peanuts. If your lucky enough to find someone good, pay them right, give them PTO, benefits they can afford. The better your compensation and benefits plan, the more reliable skilled people will seek out your company and stay around. Unfortunetly, my husband hasn't been able to find a decent company and will be looking to join a local labor union. So offer a reasonable wage, decent benefits, PTO, 6 month reviews, and the best way to find people is through referrals! Friends of friends and friends of family. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By paying a decent wage
Good point...what is considered a good wage? Location has a lot to do with the cost of labor. This guy was laid off from his union job and was called back to work until he gets laid off again.
Are you suggesting paying union wages and benefits? That would be nice to be able to do but not very practical. I'm not sure my customer base has deep enough pockets to be able to provide that.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
It's tough all over to find good help. I can't afford the prima donnas who are "already trained" at union wages and turn out to be slow as molasses. BTDT.

On the other hand, I've trained several guys who in the beginning didn't know which end of a hammer to use to drive nails and turned them into pretty decent workers. But they never seem to last because the grass always seems to be greener somewhere else and the whole manual labor thing annoys them in the end.

I have no answers but share the frustration.:mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not suggesting you pay union wages. And union guys get laid off but the private sector has lay offs as well. A lot of private sector layoffs don't have unemployment to fall back on because many small contractors pay their guys cash. I've found that employees work better when they are paid decently (around north Jersey $22hr minimum) and receive regular reviews and raises. Also I suggest having a couple company picnics or team building activities a year. It may sound silly but if your employee can relate to you and feels like his coworkers are close friends, he will be less likely to leave. Sometimes just a small perk will show employees that you are trying to reward their hard work. Provide a good environment. No employees enjoy being screamed at or disrespected.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
My lead guy was inconsiderate enough to come down with appendicitis last weekend and had his appendix removed yesterday morning. I called to check on him and my daughter, an OR POCU nurse told me he will be off for 2 weeks. Now I have to get out the bags and work. Just can't rely on anyone!

I am using a couple of college boys that are home for the summer....I am not optimistic.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
. The problem is non union companies do not take care of their employees which forces good help to continuously look for a better employer.

The broad brush you are paining with is pretty offensive. You assume we do not take care of our employees and are getting rich from their sweat and forcing them into slavery? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
If laborers hang at HD around you, go at 6:00-6:30 am. You need the sixth sense to pick out a skilled, hard worker from a lump on a log, but they are there. Some experienced, good guys will go there when a big job just finished up because that's what they know to do to stay active and they have mouths to feed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts