Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
I have added salt to the water to lower the freezing temp. If it gets real cold I add windshield washer fluid to my water.
I dont like having warm water hitting the blade.
If it gets really, really cold, I go home.

Speaking of temperatures..
It was 80° yesterday and my air turned on. Right now its 23°,snow is falling and my heat is on. Summer was one day. Im getting the lights and the tree back out.:mad:

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Before someone else gets the chance 'a breaker and a grinder is all you need'
Yea I just worked for that hack the other day!!

He was amazed when I grabbed the sponge and let it trickle onto his grinder blade!

Atleast it kept me from choking !!
Easy there. I really do use a breaker and a grinder for most jobs. I used to go with the whole wetsaw setup but I realized that, with a good blade, I could get nice cuts with a grinder and a straightedge and save myself 30 minutes of setup and takedown every day. Plenty of things still need the wetsaw but it's not used on every job anymore.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It was this kind of cold that got me off the wetsaw a few years ago. It don't matter what setup you have it sucks. Once I shifted to a grinder I have never looked back.

Here was my wet saw setup, mounted on a custom trailer area that was line-xd and the saw was removable in under 15 sec by unhooking 2 tension clips, it still sucked. when it was super cold i set up a torpido heater in the trailer.

Attachments

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
We setup inside. Make a wet room. Never had a problem. Zip walls, carpet plastic, moving blankets and more plastic. My saw doesn't spit or drip much so not a huge deal.

But I too do a lot of snap and grinder now. A good vac setup on the grinder and you can cut most anything.

And F2F you just about insulted every tiler here. Nice one! Glad it wasn't me this time. :laughing:

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Well if it makes them feel better I have a grinder with a blade as well!!

Outside I'll use it but the dip**** cutting mine did it in the room I was working,

I'm not really fond of getting pelted by shrapnel!!, not to mention the hallway the rest of the dust was billowing into!

But too each their own,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FRAME2FINISH said:
Yea I just worked for that hack the other day!! He was amazed when I grabbed the sponge and let it trickle onto his grinder blade! Atleast it kept me from choking !!
Well I'm lost with this comment, don't know what hack you are referring to!

I guess I should man up haha. I was been considering one of those small pop up canopies with plastic walls. I'm in canada and this winter was ridiculously cold for a ridiculously long time and I don't care who you are -20 without windchill is fracking cold

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
I had to audition for a guy to get a job, he wanted a carpenter but had me do a tile floor lmao,

And yes if you aren't smart enough to protect the area your working in your a hack !!

I'm not a tiler by trade but I can and do. , do it and do it well. I have a wet saw I'm lucky if I use it 6 times a year.

Like I said too each their own, if your into choking on dust have at it. I'm not particular on that aspect of the job or kneeling down all day!

That's why I'm lucky to use it 5 times a year!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I guess i am trying to under stand how using a snap cutter for all your strait cuts and a grinder outside to make fitted cuts makes you a hack. The technique is sound. the effencicy is much better (sf/hr installed). The final fit and finish of the installation is just as good or better. There is no water mess. Set up and tear down time is drastically reduced. you don't have to dry porcelain before you set it.

Now if in your mind when you hear "grinder cutting" you invision some guy cutting in the house with a unsheidled grinder spewing dust and chips everywhere making sloppy cuts looking all "ragaty". Then our discussion here is a result of your perception vs how we (the folks here on this forum) actually employ these tools and techniques.

To be honest the only time i bring a wet saw to the jobsite is when i have a lot of custom sized bull-nose to run on site. Having a sawn edge to start makes my bulldog run smoother.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Yea I envision the guy sitting right next too me inside cutting and hacking his way thru !!

Because that's how he did it!! Their standards are way less than mine would be!!

I put a wet sponge on the tile to hold it down and let the water squeeze out as needed. I think a lightbulb went off when the guy seen it control the dust and cool the blade!!

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Yea I envision the guy sitting right next too me inside cutting and hacking his way thru !!

Because that's how he did it!! Their standards are way less than mine would be!!

I put a wet sponge on the tile to hold it down and let the water squeeze out as needed. I think a lightbulb went off when the guy seen it control the dust and cool the blade!!
I just think it's what you implied when you first said it. You didn't mention procedure but method. Just apologize for the error and move on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts