Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The block yard was out of chimney caps this week and after tons of calling around I had to pour my own.

I usually pour my own on multi flue chimneys, but on an 8" single flue it is way easier to just slap a cap on it and caulk the gap.

I wanted to grab a mold so I can just start making my own a few days before a job.

Only found one place online that has them and they quoted me $500. It would take a lot of jobs to pay that thing off vs the cost of just buying them.

Anyone know where else I could grab one?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Not too sure where to buy one, never thought about it to tell ye the truth, but that is a great idea, think I will give it a go in the next few weeks,

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You can try these on for size however,I made a handful of these adjustable forms myself for a fraction of the money. The thing I like about using steel,no form release needed,sides come out slick as snot. I take 1/4" square dowels and glue down to form to form drip groove. I use a few dabs of power grab glue to hold them in place before I place the material.

Here is the connection : http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-21489.html

·
Registered
677 Posts
The best way to do the centre piece ( or the hole where the flue goes haha) is to either use a flue tile whatever side you need 8x8 8x12, wrap it in plastic or expansion joint, or build a wooden template 1/2" bigger than ye need for wiggle room, before the concrete sets pop it out, don't forget to keep the centre higher to allow run off, bit of reebar/concrete mesh, drip edge outta 1/4" or smaller trim,

Cost of precast cap = $30
Cost of materials to build your own=$20
Cost of knowing its your own custom cap and no own else has it= gotta be worth something every time ye drive by and look at it.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I am always looking for a pre cast myself. Cant find one. Everyone does a Type S mortar wash and leaves it. I would mix my own but I dont want to buy 90lb sacks of multiple ingredients or mesh than sit around the garge for a little cap once in a while. Plus reading the last few crown threads curing can be problematic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts