Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a staining project with several members of my crew. We were evaluated based off our work on a newly built gazebo (by another company). We did a very good job on the project, but began running into problems with the builder pretty much from the start.

After the projet was "done" he asked if we would be willing to paint extra trim pieces for him because he had forgot to finish them before we were done painting. We said sure. It ended up being over 80 pieces to paint, rather than the few he had implied. We ended up dipping them for time restraints, but there were still some drips left on the bottom side. We brushed quickly over the other three sides. The builder then installed them with drip side out.

Thats just to give you reference to who we are dealing with. So heres the real issue. The builder has done several things on the different projects around the house that I believe were done bad and/or incorrectly. For instance;

1. In the ceiling of the gazebo, he left out the final wood pieces to finish off the ceiling. They were using decorative wood planks that fit together. I even heard one builder say to the other: "Oh S..t, you forgot to put those in".

2. In the screened in gazebo, they forgot to screen in the floor. Bugs are simply crawling through the bottom into their brandnew gazebo.

3. On their shed, they "reroofed" it. Well when installing the shingles, they decided to just shingle over the current ones. Even though they had the guard and underlayment. Basically they voided any warrenty on those shingles.

I could list a few more things, but I will save you guys. Anyways, should I say something to the home owners. They said they were happy with the results. When should we be helpful as contractors and when is to far in stepping our bounds?

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I would definately walk, first of all. I would also talk to the GC, tell him that the HO deserves a job they are paying for, or at very least deserves to know why, when their roof fails in 10 years, the warranty will be found voided (if it is...an overlay isn't necessarily an automatic void).

As far as should YOU go to the HO and tell them, I wouldn't. Give the GC a chance to be a man.

Another option I guess, if you're develish enough..lol, would be to drop some hints to the GC that the HO has "expressed some concern about certain things" which just so happen to be the things you were talking about. :D

On a side note...never underestimate the power of the word "few"... and NEVER...EVER do even a little bit (a "few") of work for free:Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm with jp and Pro. Tell the GC where the screwups are and go T&M. He may be forced to review his crew/subs if you charge enough.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Document it, and proceed with the aforementioned.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The project is over and I'm glad I took your advice. Well, actually, I know the GC knew there were problems with his work, but I decided to just do my job and leave.

I later found out (last few days of that job) that these people may have been related to one another. They are from the same area originally, have the same business name (similar region/name), and I believe are a lot more close then originally thought.

On a side note the GC never did add in the ceiling pieces, the trim was installed very poorly, the front porch they built slopes towards the house causing a flood.

But, I have to say that the stain job turned out looking really damn nice. We got the entire house, gazebo, wrap around porch, bridge, 400+ spindals, 2 story garage, peeks that are close to 45' high, and deck finish in two weeks with 3 people working full time.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
You were right to do your job and walk, sometimes when you open your mouth between GC and HO you only set yourself up for a fall. A lot of the time all the GC has to do to counter is lie and unfourtunately a lot of us are good at that.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts