Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
So I guess that it is me doing wrong things... Matt
In these situations you should do what we've all done at some point in our careers: Fake your own death.

Change your name, move to another state and start over. As much as you love your family, they are the main source of your problems, it's not that you bid the job too low, it's that your family is too expensive. I would loot the bank accounts and abandon them immediately. A wife and kids are a very poor investment, now that you're broke, your wife is already planning to leave you, so beat her to the punch.

As far as the subs go, don't pay those a-holes a dime, they are used to getting stiffed by general contractors.

At first you will find my advice offensive, but that's your emotions talking, over the next few weeks, you'll be PM'ing me, asking for more sage advice.

·
Registered
838 Posts
In these situations you should do what we've all done at some point in our careers: Fake your own death.

Change your name, move to another state and start over. As much as you love your family, they are the main source of your problems, it's not that you bid the job too low, it's that your family is too expensive. I would loot the bank accounts and abandon them immediately. A wife and kids are a very poor investment, now that you're broke, your wife is already planning to leave you, so beat her to the punch.

As far as the subs go, don't pay those a-holes a dime, they are used to getting stiffed by general contractors.

At first you will find my advice offensive, but that's your emotions talking, over the next few weeks, you'll be PM'ing me, asking for more sage advice.
You've got to be kidding, Right??? If not, You do not belong here ..........

·
Registered
992 Posts
A follow up on what is going on... I am getting a little help from my family on working with the bank on getting everyone paid. So I am trying to finish the house, got about 3 weeks left. Just cabinets and countertops left when then come in. Then onto working for someone else for awhile. Time to get off my butt and support my family. Well thanks for all the advice, ideas and suggestions. Matt

I think it would be best for everyone if you did go work for someone else!

·
Registered
120 Posts

Excellent! :laughing:

·
Registered
838 Posts
EDIT: Removed unkind and unwarranted insult to OP. It's too early to make enemies, should pace myself and wait till later this evening to start flame war...
It is not unkind or unwarranted if you really mean this- I don't have or make enemies-just tell it like it is- What you said, if you mean it, Is very unwarranted & unkind and is against what we All Stand for- Integrity- Respect in ourselves & Our Families, Fellow Americans & our Occupations- So if you mean it I will say Again- THIS IS NO PLACE FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
28 Posts
It is not unkind or unwarranted if you really mean this- I don't have or make enemies-just tell it like it is- What you said, if you mean it, Is very unwarranted & unkind and is against what we All Stand for- Integrity- Respect in ourselves & Our Families, Fellow Americans & our Occupations- So if you mean it I will say Again- THIS IS NO PLACE FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!
You're raving now. Sit down and have something cold to drink, take a few deep breaths.

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
EDIT: Removed unkind and unwarranted insult to OP. It's too early to make enemies, should pace myself and wait till later this evening to start flame war...
OK I'll bite. You should pace yourself here. You obviously have a pretty interesting sense of humor, and we just don't know you well enough here to appreciate it. ??

If you are serious about getting all you can get from homeowners (other thread) and your advice about skipping town to avoid problems is not a joke, then Mr Mike is correct in recommending you bow out honorably from this forum now.

This forum is filled to the gills with mostly honorable, hard working and honest contractors who battle daily with the unfortunate stigma of "all contractors are thieves".

If your intentions are honorable and you are just making jokes, we are all about that and we will get to know you quickly.

If your previous posts reflect your REAL attitudes, I must warn you that it diametrically opposes the general attitudes here.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i read it as a joke, i laughed as i read it then was surprised to read on that others didnt

obviously we all have different senses of humour:whistling

·
Registered
254 Posts
I thought it was funny. But his opinions are not aligned with the rest of the forum members so I see why he was banned.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
But his opinions are not aligned with the rest of the forum members so I see why he was banned.
It's not that his views weren't in alignment (there's no way a person would be banned simply for having an opposing viewpoint...any opposing viewpoint).
However, he broke the Posting Rules multiple times in his first day here. We do not arbitrarily ban people.

Mac

·
Youngster
493 Posts
This is a bit old, but thought I would throw in my $.02

To the OP,

If you continue on your own, I would seriously suggest ditching the per square foot bidding concept. That process alone will mess you over on almost every house. If you bid tight, you risk your current situation. If you bid high, then you become the over-priced builder and lose a lot of jobs that you are well suited for.

I'm not giving my contact info so nobody interprets this as advertising. About 1/4 of my time is spent in residential consulting, doing for contractors exactly what it sounds like you struggle with. In short (and very simplified) I prepare construction budgets and time lines. It's very easy for me because of the technology I utilize as well as my history in that aspect of the industry. There are more skilled builders on here than me, but planning and budgeting is where I excel and it takes me far less time. I'm almost always within 2% of the actual cost to build, and the contractors can markup from there however they want. I even provide schedules for man hours and things like that.

There are a lot of others like me who offer these services. My point is that if the bidding and business part of the job isn't your strong point, then admit that to yourself, and hire someone who specializes in that arena. For a very small cost, you could have avoided this problem and you wouldn't have to spend your time bidding out jobs and managing your budget.

I hope the situation works out for you though. I'm feeling for you.

·
Da Grump
441 Posts
that sucks,sounds like youve got more heart than lots of generals ive done work for though! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: youll get through this,maybe try doing smaller jobs till you get enough experiance to take on the bigger work. ;)

·
T. P. I. Construction
13 Posts
I read this late. I feel for you I have been there before. Do change orders for upgrades. ask subs for some discounts, with the understanding that you will make it up on other jobs. Banks will only help when you do not need them, look for some private financing like (Prosper.com) not to be advertising for them but it is a site that puts borrowers together with investors that have money to invest.

Do not ignore this, contact the home owner right away and your subs.

Good luck

·
Banned
215 Posts
Big Al you are exactly what's wrong with today's contractors...

Listen to the others son, talk to the HO, but don't try to muscle them into paying for what might be your mistake.

Ask of them to help you find a way out, they will respect you for not bailing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks for all the advice that all of you have given me. It has been a rough couple of weeks but still working on everything. Don't know what i am going to do after i get the house finished but will figure that out after. Thanks Matt

21 - 40 of 42 Posts