Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a cape with a totally an unfinished attic. My wife and I would like to add two bedrooms and a half bath upstairs. Heating pipes and electric have already been run. So it is really just a matter of the bathroom and framining the walls.
I am wondering at what point I should bring in a plumber to run pipes to the second floor. I assume he is going to have to open a wall in the first floor bathroom to do it (the half bath will be directly above the first floor bath).
Since I am doing the work myself over time, it will be a while before the bath is finished.
So I have to two questions:
1) Should I bring in a plumber now, get and estimate and run the pipes before I do anything else?
2) Will I be able to find some one willing to only "rough-in" the pipe for the vanity and the toilet and leave everything else to the home owner?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
438 Posts
New
Thats a tough question, yea I would bring in the plumber now and let him have a look. Be up front as to your idea of doing the finish yourself.
I know that when a customer wants to do his or her own finish I have run into problems with permits, so the price sometimes goes up.
The reason for the increase is I may have to rework your entire finish to meet the state and or local codes.
I will always try to work with home owners and make them well informed as to what is required to comply with all aspects of the codes, however that does not mean that they will do as told.
With this in mind try to understand the problems involved with the inspectors and being in the middle of the mess.

Bernie

·
Registered
17 Posts
get them in for a look

you should get them in for a look first, if you dont pull a permit then you dont have to worry most guys wouldnt care if you do the finish.
although I wouldnt recommend no permit.. that type of job for the rough in mass. would typically run you about $1400. to $1600. for time and labor as a reference point.. good luck..:thumbsup:

New
Thats a tough question, yea I would bring in the plumber now and let him have a look. Be up front as to your idea of doing the finish yourself.
I know that when a customer wants to do his or her own finish I have run into problems with permits, so the price sometimes goes up.
The reason for the increase is I may have to rework your entire finish to meet the state and or local codes.
I will always try to work with home owners and make them well informed as to what is required to comply with all aspects of the codes, however that does not mean that they will do as told.
With this in mind try to understand the problems involved with the inspectors and being in the middle of the mess.

Bernie

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I would recommend a contractor, being your own conductor will only lead to chaos.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Does the house have a full basement or crawlspace? Depending on which one you have will effect plumbing cost.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Does your house have a full basement or crawl space? Depending on which one you have will determine plumbing cost.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Boys, please pay attension to posting dates. This one died two years ago. I bet NewHomeOwner is all set by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts