Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
twice in the past year we walked away from houses where the GC held our price against a cheap all-spanish crew's prices and asked us to do it for their price and we would have lost money. and both times they ended up getting butchered houses and are now calling us to do their framing again. in one instance, the guy has 6 houses of a subdivision for us. pay peanuts, get monkeys. feels good.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aside from these crews butchering houses in the way of out of level/square, open cuts, etc. they just follow the plan no matter how ****ed up the plans are, which often times is REALLY bad cause most architects don't care. we started a house the other day for this guy who the guy with 6 more houses actually referred us to and we had to change the entire first floor cause all the numbers were wrong and all the doors were squeezed into openings where he couldn't have fit trim if we left them alone, etc. we went over everything with him and fixed everything and he was really grateful and also shocked that we took the time to stop and think instead of just throwing it up carelessly like "is on the plan, not my problem." now this guy has more houses for us to. life is good.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,910 Posts
asgoodasdead said:
aside from these crews butchering houses in the way of out of level/square, open cuts, etc. they just follow the plan no matter how ****ed up the plans are, which often times is REALLY bad cause most architects don't care. we started a house the other day for this guy who the guy with 6 more houses actually referred us to and we had to change the entire first floor cause all the numbers were wrong and all the doors were squeezed into openings where he couldn't have fit trim if we left them alone, etc. we went over everything with him and fixed everything and he was really grateful and also shocked that we took the time to stop and think instead of just throwing it up carelessly like "is on the plan, not my problem." now this guy has more houses for us to. life is good.
There is always a note somewhere on the plans that says to verify everything. The archys are always covering their ass in language.

·
Registered
GC
586 Posts
I would lose it in that situation.:censored: "XX contracting will do it for this price (cheaper)" Well ****, don't tell me about it, get them to do it for that price.:whistling
My response is always "sign him up quick before he smartens up". I've only been able to use it twice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts