Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My office manager gave her notice, Now I would like to sit with her to see what her reasons were and maybe learn a few things.

I do not want to open up a legal issue, but would like to get her to sign that she is leaving of her own accord, so there is no Unemployment claim.

How do you guys handle the situation?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
It's called an Exit Interview.

Never mind having her sign anything, she can just tell you to pound sand anyways...

If she files a UI claim you can dispute it then.

Notice in writing? Not really important, just curious.....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't in writing. She is a great lady, I am not too worried about her, I always thought that an exit interview should reveal some good info about structure, attitude, and honesty within the company.

I never have done one, because I am usually the one ending the arrangement.

Do you have certain formal questions that you ask?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
31,186 Posts
Not quite on topic but, whenever anyone working for me gave notice, I let them go that day. I paid them through their notice date but wanted them gone asap.

Someone with no allegiance could cause some problems.

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
An office manager has access to all kinds of information that could screw you up if they were so inclined.
This just happened to the garage door guy behind my shop... She tried to take all his customer info, police were called, it was a big scene. I'd agree with letting an office manager go immediately.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Obviously she did her job, and has respect enough for you she gave you two weeks letting her go early is pretty disrespectful return.

It may be a very good time to catch up on her day to days, as a office manager surely her personality has managed that office and her two weeks may be up long before you have a replacement.

Passwords may be a good idea.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I'm going to be in her situation sometime this spring I expect.
I'm currently laid off from a roofing company for the winter. Took a temp assignment at my current place(same place I had an assignment before going to the roofing company) for little more money than UI was paying. This temp assignment is supposed to be 30 weeks which takes me sometime into June/July. I expect I'll get a call from the roofing boss a while before that. My current assignment is only part time(28 Hrs/Wk). The roofing company pays close double what the current job pays and also is a guranteed 40 Hrs/wk.

Difference between me and the office manager is I'm on a temp assignment and anybody can do my job(I'm just the cleanup/odd jobs guy), just not as well and at less than half the speed. All it takes is a phone call and somebody will be there to replace me in a heartbeat.

Not quite on topic but, whenever anyone working for me gave notice, I let them go that day. I paid them through their notice date but wanted them gone asap.

Someone with no allegiance could cause some problems.
I look at it this way. There is no need for them to tell you they plan on leaving if they intend to screw you. Them giving notice implies they would like to leave on good terms. If they intend to screw you over, they would just get everything they needed and stop showing up for work. By giving notice, they are subjecting themselves to closer observation(by you/there replacement/etc)which is counterproductive to there plans.

Reactions: Reg

·
Registered
Remodel
32,182 Posts
Th reasons that people start thinking about getting another job aren't the same reasons why they take another job. By the time you're doing an exit interview, what started it all has been over written by the decision to take the job.

Believe it or don't, work environment and ability to balance work and home life are frequently more important than a little more or less money. Benefits, however, are a big deal, and advancement possibilities can be a big carrot (and are often lied about).

Generally, you want to have the person leave on good terms, you want to find out what started the thinking about leaving, and you want to know what she thinks you do really well and what could be looked at. And if you're Rex...

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
hdavis said:
Th reasons that people start thinking about getting another job aren't the same reasons why they take another job. By the time you're doing an exit interview, what started it all has been over written by the decision to take the job.

Believe it or don't, work environment and ability to balance work and home life are frequently more important than a little more or less money. Benefits, however, are a big deal, and advancement possibilities can be a big carrot (and are often lied about).

Generally, you want to have the person leave on good terms, you want to find out what started the thinking about leaving, and you want to know what she thinks you do really well and what could be looked at. And if you're Rex...
What is this work and home life balance you speak of? More money and benefits? Now I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the great replies, She is retiring, and the only thing I am having her do is to write up procedures for all the things she does, and keep up with the invoicing.

I need to know how she adapted my system so I can find what I am looking for after she leaves.

The previous post about the garage door guy caught my attention. I just spoke to a garage door guy nearby. Not only did his last office manager steal his contacts, he took his own employee file with him. I do not feel to bad for him though, the guy was an office manager being paid as a sub. Now he has no way to justify his 1099, and does not even have his SS#. He never reported the hire to the state, so there is no record other than cancelled checks.

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
Pearce Services said:
Thanks for the great replies, She is retiring, and the only thing I am having her do is to write up procedures for all the things she does, and keep up with the invoicing. I need to know how she adapted my system so I can find what I am looking for after she leaves. The previous post about the garage door guy caught my attention. I just spoke to a garage door guy nearby. Not only did his last office manager steal his contacts, he took his own employee file with him. I do not feel to bad for him though, the guy was an office manager being paid as a sub. Now he has no way to justify his 1099, and does not even have his SS#. He never reported the hire to the state, so there is no record other than cancelled checks.

So being that we now know she is retiring and not quitting for another job is it possible for you to ask her to help you train a replacement for a week or something?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.