Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started work for a large industrial organization and manage their engineering department. I'm a license GC as well as a license PE in multiple states. As I have been walking our facilities and asking questions about permits and such, I get blank looks on people faces as if they don't know what a permit is.

Question: In the industrial setting, for a corporation that is publicly traded in the stock market, what constitutes pulling a building permit for our own facilities?

The obvious ones:

1) New structural systems
2) Structural repairs/replacements
3) Retaining walls and other major concrete work

In the past, I have always just pulled permits and done the work, but I haven't worked as an employee for an industrial company until now and am curious if there is a differentiating factor between doing the work on your own facilities with employees that work for the same company.

Thanks,

D

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I recently started work for a large industrial organization and manage their engineering department. I'm a license GC as well as a license PE in multiple states. As I have been walking our facilities and asking questions about permits and such, I get blank looks on people faces as if they don't know what a permit is.

Question: In the industrial setting, for a corporation that is publicly traded in the stock market, what constitutes pulling a building permit for our own facilities?

The obvious ones:

1) New structural systems
2) Structural repairs/replacements
3) Retaining walls and other major concrete work

In the past, I have always just pulled permits and done the work, but I haven't worked as an employee for an industrial company until now and am curious if there is a differentiating factor between doing the work on your own facilities with employees that work for the same company.

Thanks,

D
Building codes do not differentiate between private/public or how the company is held.

From your IP I see you are in Portland, OR.

Very likely you need an appropriate permit for anything other than changing a light bulb or installing a new roll of mountain money.

Having a job properly permitted will help should liability issues ever arise. Your insurance company may also frown upon any work done without the proper permits.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
In the refineries and pulp mills around here, the engineer of record will apply for a blanket permit and write a file a report of the work done the prior year, including special inspections, UL acceptance, boiler and pressure piping tests by the insurance companies.

Are you in WA or OR?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I oversee both Oregon and Washington operations. From what I can see, there has been a fair amount of under the radar stuff happening and I'm trying to move the company in the direction of being above the radar moving forward...just meeting some resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also should say, that I'm moving in the direction of pulling the permits under my license so that our employees can do some of the work with my supervision and inspection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts