Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started work for a large industrial organization and manage their engineering department. I'm a license GC as well as a license PE in multiple states. As I have been walking our facilities and asking questions about permits and such, I get blank looks on people faces as if they don't know what a permit is.

Question: In the industrial setting, for a corporation that is publicly traded in the stock market, what constitutes pulling a building permit for our own facilities?

The obvious ones:

1) New structural systems
2) Structural repairs/replacements
3) Retaining walls and other major concrete work

In the past, I have always just pulled permits and done the work, but I haven't worked as an employee for an industrial company until now and am curious if there is a differentiating factor between doing the work on your own facilities with employees that work for the same company.

Thanks,

D

·
Retired Moderator
24,786 Posts
I recently started work for a large industrial organization and manage their engineering department. I'm a license GC as well as a license PE in multiple states. As I have been walking our facilities and asking questions about permits and such, I get blank looks on people faces as if they don't know what a permit is.

Question: In the industrial setting, for a corporation that is publicly traded in the stock market, what constitutes pulling a building permit for our own facilities?

The obvious ones:

1) New structural systems
2) Structural repairs/replacements
3) Retaining walls and other major concrete work

In the past, I have always just pulled permits and done the work, but I haven't worked as an employee for an industrial company until now and am curious if there is a differentiating factor between doing the work on your own facilities with employees that work for the same company.

Thanks,

D
Building codes do not differentiate between private/public or how the company is held.

From your IP I see you are in Portland, OR.

Very likely you need an appropriate permit for anything other than changing a light bulb or installing a new roll of mountain money.

Having a job properly permitted will help should liability issues ever arise. Your insurance company may also frown upon any work done without the proper permits.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
In the refineries and pulp mills around here, the engineer of record will apply for a blanket permit and write a file a report of the work done the prior year, including special inspections, UL acceptance, boiler and pressure piping tests by the insurance companies.

Are you in WA or OR?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I oversee both Oregon and Washington operations. From what I can see, there has been a fair amount of under the radar stuff happening and I'm trying to move the company in the direction of being above the radar moving forward...just meeting some resistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.