Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now, i plan to subcontract painting as the last step but before flooring. Where would you put paint?

Planning to do something like this...

1. demo
2. frame
3. Bathrooms/kitchen
4. Drywall
5. Paint
6. Trim
7. Floors (carpet, hardwood)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Metro M & L said:
Add repaint after floors hardwood. And how are you going to paint trim that isnt installex yet?
We are pulling old baseboards out and possibly spraying them in garage

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Looks like you have it right. Prime drywall and then drywall will need touch up etc. then finish drywall priming. Paint drywall before trim and cabinets etc.
Trim will need a final coat after installation, to fill nail holes etc.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I like it just like you have it. We will do 1 coat on the baseboards, install the flooring, install the shoe, and then do the final coat on the base and shoe.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,589 Posts
I assume you’re not talking about a new home and/or an addition. If you are, you missed a lot of trades (excavation, foundation, roofing, mason/stucco…). Here’s our priority scheduling for a kitchen remodel:

1. General services (dust protect, set-up & lay-out)
2. Demo
3. Frame
4. HVAC
5. Plumbing - rough
6. Electrical – rough
7. Rough inspections
8. Insulation
9. Insulation inspections
10. Wall & ceiling coverings – Drywall
11. Screw Inspections
12. Paint (prime & first coat walls/ceiling)
13. Drywall – final touch-up
14. Flooring (hardwood or tile) hardwood installed sanded and apply 2 coats.
15. Cabinets - rough
16. Countertops
17. Wall coverings – tile
18. Plumbing – final
19. Electrical - final
20. Flooring – hardwood – screen and final
21. Cabinets – final (hang doors, panels and toe-kicks)(includes knobs/pulls/cups)
22. Millwork & trim – final
23. Paint – complete all trims and millwork and second coat walls and ceiling
24. Carpet (if any – probably not in a kitchen remodel – but if necessary before final paint)
25. Cabinet crown (if any) and client walk-through
26. Paint – touch-up trims after carpet F’s them up and install electrical cover plates and recessed trims that the electrician left for them
27. Clean and haul
28. Cert inspections – final
29. Collect final check – final
30. I’m out-a-there.

Just FYI, I haven’t installed shoe molding since I was a rookie – 24 years ago. If it’s an RRP job add about 10 steps to the above.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaVinciRemodel said:
I assume you’re not talking about a new home and/or an addition. If you are, you missed a lot of trades (excavation, foundation, roofing, mason/stucco…). Here’s our priority scheduling for a kitchen remodel: 1. General services (dust protect, set-up & lay-out) 2. Demo 3. Frame 4. HVAC 5. Plumbing - rough 6. Electrical – rough 7. Rough inspections 8. Insulation 9. Insulation inspections 10. Wall & ceiling coverings – Drywall 11. Screw Inspections 12. Paint (prime & first coat walls/ceiling) 13. Drywall – final touch-up 14. Flooring (hardwood or tile) hardwood installed sanded and apply 2 coats. 15. Cabinets - rough 16. Countertops 17. Wall coverings – tile 18. Plumbing – final 19. Electrical - final 20. Flooring – hardwood – screen and final 21. Cabinets – final (hang doors, panels and toe-kicks)(includes knobs/pulls/cups) 22. Millwork & trim – final 23. Paint – complete all trims and millwork and second coat walls and ceiling 24. Carpet (if any – probably not in a kitchen remodel – but if necessary before final paint) 25. Cabinet crown (if any) and client walk-through 26. Paint – touch-up trims after carpet F’s them up and install electrical cover plates and recessed trims that the electrician left for them 27. Clean and haul 28. Cert inspections – final 29. Collect final check – final 30. I’m out-a-there. Just FYI, I haven’t installed shoe molding since I was a rookie – 24 years ago. If it’s an RRP job add about 10 steps to the above.
Your a cabinet first guy huh? me too. It just seems more efficient that way. I also like to paint/cut around cabinets

1 - 8 of 8 Posts