Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now, i plan to subcontract painting as the last step but before flooring. Where would you put paint?

Planning to do something like this...

1. demo
2. frame
3. Bathrooms/kitchen
4. Drywall
5. Paint
6. Trim
7. Floors (carpet, hardwood)

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,591 Posts
I assume you’re not talking about a new home and/or an addition. If you are, you missed a lot of trades (excavation, foundation, roofing, mason/stucco…). Here’s our priority scheduling for a kitchen remodel:

1. General services (dust protect, set-up & lay-out)
2. Demo
3. Frame
4. HVAC
5. Plumbing - rough
6. Electrical – rough
7. Rough inspections
8. Insulation
9. Insulation inspections
10. Wall & ceiling coverings – Drywall
11. Screw Inspections
12. Paint (prime & first coat walls/ceiling)
13. Drywall – final touch-up
14. Flooring (hardwood or tile) hardwood installed sanded and apply 2 coats.
15. Cabinets - rough
16. Countertops
17. Wall coverings – tile
18. Plumbing – final
19. Electrical - final
20. Flooring – hardwood – screen and final
21. Cabinets – final (hang doors, panels and toe-kicks)(includes knobs/pulls/cups)
22. Millwork & trim – final
23. Paint – complete all trims and millwork and second coat walls and ceiling
24. Carpet (if any – probably not in a kitchen remodel – but if necessary before final paint)
25. Cabinet crown (if any) and client walk-through
26. Paint – touch-up trims after carpet F’s them up and install electrical cover plates and recessed trims that the electrician left for them
27. Clean and haul
28. Cert inspections – final
29. Collect final check – final
30. I’m out-a-there.

Just FYI, I haven’t installed shoe molding since I was a rookie – 24 years ago. If it’s an RRP job add about 10 steps to the above.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaVinciRemodel said:
I assume you’re not talking about a new home and/or an addition. If you are, you missed a lot of trades (excavation, foundation, roofing, mason/stucco…). Here’s our priority scheduling for a kitchen remodel: 1. General services (dust protect, set-up & lay-out) 2. Demo 3. Frame 4. HVAC 5. Plumbing - rough 6. Electrical – rough 7. Rough inspections 8. Insulation 9. Insulation inspections 10. Wall & ceiling coverings – Drywall 11. Screw Inspections 12. Paint (prime & first coat walls/ceiling) 13. Drywall – final touch-up 14. Flooring (hardwood or tile) hardwood installed sanded and apply 2 coats. 15. Cabinets - rough 16. Countertops 17. Wall coverings – tile 18. Plumbing – final 19. Electrical - final 20. Flooring – hardwood – screen and final 21. Cabinets – final (hang doors, panels and toe-kicks)(includes knobs/pulls/cups) 22. Millwork & trim – final 23. Paint – complete all trims and millwork and second coat walls and ceiling 24. Carpet (if any – probably not in a kitchen remodel – but if necessary before final paint) 25. Cabinet crown (if any) and client walk-through 26. Paint – touch-up trims after carpet F’s them up and install electrical cover plates and recessed trims that the electrician left for them 27. Clean and haul 28. Cert inspections – final 29. Collect final check – final 30. I’m out-a-there. Just FYI, I haven’t installed shoe molding since I was a rookie – 24 years ago. If it’s an RRP job add about 10 steps to the above.
Your a cabinet first guy huh? me too. It just seems more efficient that way. I also like to paint/cut around cabinets

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.