Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who run your own framing company I'd like to hear when you went out on your own. How long had you been framing? How old were you? Did you have all the right tools already(or did you shimmy up 2x8's as ladders haha)? Were you prepared?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 24 and just incorporated my own company.
Been framing for 5 years and pretty much have all the right tools. I've been lucky enough to have a good friend do a % split with me and am on my third house now and looking to hire my first hourly employee. I think about work all day every day and its very stressful but I just keep thinking that if I get through the next 5 years successfully I will be set for the rest of my life. If you're thinking of doing it yourself I would go for it, throw yourself out on a limb and start cashing cheques. Just make sure you are educated and confident you can build a good house.

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
19 when I started my company. Framing for 2.5 years. Wasn't getting enough opportunity at prior workplace and decided to go on my own. That was 3 years ago and I have yet to run out of work for longer than a week. Two or three joists put in the way of HVAC or plumbing in the first few houses but thankfully that has been the extent of the learning curve. We aren't the fastest crew around, but our work is always tight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Starting 15 years age when I was 33. I had a lot of mymown tools. I had very little experirnce in the field and mostly in the office. I learned as I went. I mostly did smaller ermodels starting out and spec homes that I financed myself. Over time I hired help and solt a lot more and speced less. Never really worked much as a sub.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
I was 27. Was a part owner of another larger company before that. Had a lot of tools, and would beg, borrow, and rent whatever I needed. Never nailed studs together to make ladders. I was plenty prepared for the framing portion. I had run crews since I was 20 years old.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts
I went on my own a about 4-5 yrs ago, I was 34 and had about 5 yrs experience under my belt. I had all of the tools and a strong leadership background from my previous profession and leadership training as an undergrad. Business now is better than ever and I've never looked back.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts

I was 25.

Ran that as a mechanic for 9 years.

That was my mistake:

"...as a mechanic".

I didn't run it as a "manager" from 2005-2008.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Long story short. Have been doing some sort of framing since I was 19. Started with framing 12x12 houses for people in need while volunteering in Mexico for a year and a half. When I got back home I jumped right into framing houses.

After 2 years I started my own company doing mainly decks and fences. First summer sucked big time. Got maybe 4 projects and then subbed off of friends. Ended up flopping and worked for a friend with a landscaping company as his woodwork foreman. Still doing decks, fences, retaining walls, pergolas and more. Worked a couple of summers for him then went back out on my own.

My summers started getting really steady but my winters were dead. I would always find my self back into framing. One day I decided I would start doing them on my own.

I had a lot of tools already but not everything I needed. On my first house all I needed to buy was a stapler and a roofing nailer ( the house had drywall on the side walls) and a couple of wall jacks. I rented a 2 story ladder when i needed it. And got by. Now I would say I still don't have all the tools I need to make my life easier but they are on the list. Still saving up for that coveted zoom boom.

I guess this wasn't very short but it's shorter than it could have been.
I was 27 when I built my first house on my own. The biggest challenge was finding people reliable to show up to work. Still is a challenge, but for me I really enjoy the work for the most part and can't see myself doing anything else.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Was 21 on my own.
Had been framing 3 years full time.
Had most my own tools minus a gas compressor.
No climbing wood ladders for me.

Fast forward to today. I think it might of been a bit early for that decision on some parts of it. Others not soon enough.
First 2 houses I framed with my partner (just the two of us for the first year) we got screwed on. Was very hard to dig out of that hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts