Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
GC
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a couple Stihl chain saws and a cut off saw over the years, always been quality equipment that I could depend on. Picked up a new Stihl chain saw a couple years back and so far I'd have to call it worthless garbage. It will usually start on the fiftieth pull, run for thirty seconds then die. Another thirty or forty pulls and it will light up and run. If I shut it off it takes a good dozen tugs to get it to start again.
This saw has been used maybe four times since I bought it. Always burned the store bought fuel because I can't buy anything other than E10 around here.
Is this common now? Did I just get a lemon, or is there some new secret startup method that no one ever told me about?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,267 Posts
Which model is it? I killed my MS271 a couple of years ago with bad mix (dammit), went right out and bought another one, and have had no problems. Haven't heard complaints from anyone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ethanol leaves a sticky residue when it doesn’t evaporate but the gas does in the carbs. There are ways to add additives to the gas, and attempt to always dry carb completely between storage periods.

-re read your post. Even with all the additives most smaller engines really can’t handle the newer gas and have issues. Buying new carbs seem to be the way to go sometimes. I’d price one. Rebuilding never seems to fix them as it also scratches the jets etc

I bought a 2003 era model Stihl chainsaw. The quality does seem to have gone downhill. I sold it to a professional logger in 2011 I believe for almost double my purchase price. At the time he told me all the new stihl are junk and mine was very clean like new condition. This was over 10yr ago, and I haven’t heard anyone say anything to make it seem they’ve gotten better since then.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
I have had a couple Stihl chain saws and a cut off saw over the years, always been quality equipment that I could depend on. Picked up a new Stihl chain saw a couple years back and so far I'd have to call it worthless garbage. It will usually start on the fiftieth pull, run for thirty seconds then die. Another thirty or forty pulls and it will light up and run. If I shut it off it takes a good dozen tugs to get it to start again.
This saw has been used maybe four times since I bought it. Always burned the store bought fuel because I can't buy anything other than E10 around here.
Is this common now? Did I just get a lemon, or is there some new secret startup method that no one ever told me about?
What's the store-bought fuel? Do you mean the synthetic? Anyway, it still sounds like a fuel issue. Mine work great, but it took me years to treat them right with fuel and storage.

I just "fixed" (the lazyman's way) a carb issue on a mower with the "Mechanic in a bottle" product. I suspect it would help with a fuel mix, but worth some preliminary research first. (Edit: see below..you can use it.) Once you treat it, initially it will be a difficult start until you clear the system of it. Afterward, it'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
GC
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the store-bought fuel? Do you mean the synthetic? Anyway, it still sounds like a fuel issue. Mine work great, but it took me years to treat them right with fuel and storage.

I just "fixed" (the lazyman's way) a carb issue on a mower with the "Mechanic in a bottle" product. I suspect it would help with a fuel mix, but worth some preliminary research first. (Edit: see below..you can use it.) Once you treat it, initially it will be a difficult start until you clear the system of it. Afterward, it'll probably be fine.

Store bought fuel is gas and oil premixed in a can. Has the correct amount of oil, fuel stabilizers, and no ethanol. It runs around twenty bucks a gallon.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
My store-bought is the 40:1 synthetic TruFuel and it's been fine. But a small engine repair guys says to avoid that one since it has some wax in the blend, and to use the chain saw brand stuff instead.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I got a Stihl Kombi system last summer and it's been great. Picked up a Stihl MS170 for limbs last week and that's also been great so far.

Correction, I picked up a MS180.

I'd take yours back to the store, sounds like you got a lemon.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Takes 3 things for 2 stroke to run.
1 Compression
2 Fuel
3 Ignition

If it won't start, it's most likely fuel supply, or bad fuel. Engines with primer bulb act differently than older choke enrichment models. You have to get the primer bulb to pump raw fuel 1st for easy start. Follow directions closely.

If plug is wet, it's likely bad plug, or coil/igniter, or bad fuel fowling plug. These days it's unlikely it's the coil/igniter.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've become a big fan of Stihl synthetic premix oil packs. They sell them as 2, or 2.5 gal. bottles. It takes the mystery out of doing you own premix, at way more reasonable pricing, than pre canned mixes.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,310 Posts
We run a lot of Stihl equipment up at the ranch. We have probably a dozen saws, plus other stuff.

We had one lemon saw, but it was a Husqy. I still run Husqy for construction tools though.

If you've only run it 4 times in two years, that's more than likely the problem right there.

We have probably 30 small engines, brush mowers, weed eaters, plows, water pumps, generators, etc, and they need to be drained of fuel at the end of the season and refilled the next year. Or run regularly.

I even run my equipment every couple weeks if it’s too rainy to use, just to keep it flowing and use up the fuel.

·
Registered
GC
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So today I pulled the thing out, gave it one gentle tug, then it started right up on the next pull and ran like a champ. WTF?
Every time before this it's been a ***** to start, now it suddenly runs fine. I assume I'm going to have to take it apart to find the issue. Crap in the fuel seems like the obvious answer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So today I pulled the thing out, gave it one gentle tug, then it started right up on the next pull and ran like a champ. WTF?
Every time before this it's been a * to start, now it suddenly runs fine. I assume I'm going to have to take it apart to find the issue. Crap in the fuel seems like the obvious answer.
I'd leave it alone, if it runs good use it. Could've been something stuck in the carb and worked lose.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Every time before this it's been a * to start, now it suddenly runs fine. I assume I'm going to have to take it apart to find the issue. Crap in the fuel seems like the obvious answer.
It was reading this thread and got scared.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts