Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a new scms but I am curious if anyone knows when some new saws will be released. Obviously only the tool companies know exactly when the releases will be but are the releases similar to cars that generally are released at a certain time? I'd hate to buy a new saw just to see the price get slashed due to a new model release 2 months later or be jealous of the newest features (that I don't really need). It seems most of the saws out have been around for a few years now.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
What new features could they possibly have? a built-in coffee maker?
Buy one you like now, and make some money with it...

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
They'll come out exactly one week after your new one is too "used" to return.

And yes, they WILL HAVE built-IN coffee makers :thumbup:

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I could go for a coffee maker.....

On the other hand, whats up with that ginormous round table on the Ridgid 12" slider?
Every time I walk past it I just stare at it's shear ugliness.

And for new saws, the 10" Bosch glider looks like fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The big thing I was concerned about was just the reduced price of the saw (599 now / 399 a month later) and its not so much features as the design of the slide I am curious about. Boschs robotic arm, makitas double tube slide, kapex fixed tubes.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I've not used the double tube on the Makita, but I did play with it once on a display. I got to say, first impressions weren't positive. It felt a bit floppy.

I like the robot, and the fixed tube.
Having the tubes one above the other seams more stable considering the direction of the user inputted force.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
[QUOTE="Aaron Berk"Having the tubes one above the other seams more stable considering the direction of the user inputted force.[/QUOTE]

That should control up/down flex better, but I'm more concerned with side-to-side flex, which I think is better supported with the rails arranged horizontally.

All the Makita's with the four tubes that I tried had a weird feel when transitioning between one set of tubes and the other. Plus they felt a little rough. Some people seem to like them, though. Maybe they just need to break in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a noticeable feeling when it switches rails on the slide? I like the idea that the shorter rails are suppose allow for less deflection but it actually seems like more stuff to get out of alignment down the road.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was in a tool store the other day that had a lot of the newer saw and they were pretty disappointing. Just slide them out to the furtherest point, put the head down and push it side to side. They almost all move ALOT side to side.

The makita and the bosch axial moved a lot.

The Milwaukee surprised me, it didn't move at all. (Unfortunately reviews pretty commonly state the motors die after a year)

I think the new designs are great to see all the innovation. Unfortunately they keep making the rails skinner and skinner and then manufacturing them with cheaper and cheaper parts. I've got an old hitachi 10" slider that is still rock solid accurate. All that to say is a lot of the time I am trying to find the older tools because they are made better. So don't be so keen on jumping on the newer model saws. They aren't necessarily better.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I like my 20 year old hitachi 8-1/2" slider, it's solid with no noticeable side deflection.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
m1911 said:
I like my 20 year old hitachi 8-1/2" slider, it's solid with no noticeable side deflection.
Those old Hitachi's were incredibly good. It's what I learned on. If they still made them I would pick one up today. It's a shame what has happened to Hitachi over the years.

I have had the Milwaukee now for 4 years, I believe. It's a good saw, but heavy. My next saw will be a Kapex. The weight alone is reason enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I'll just pick up a dewalt dws780 with the free stand. I've used many a dewalt miters over the years and they have certainly held up. I wanted to give a different company a try but it seems they are all about equal in the pros and cons and price wise and availability locally is hard to beat with the dewalt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a new hitachi c10fsh two years ago, I also have an old hitachi 10" slider. There is some difference in the old from the new. But i am really impressed with their new one. I have a dewalt slider, and one of my guys has the dual slider makita. I still much prefer my hitachi for quality and accuracy over anything I've used. Other than a kapex ofcourse.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
ltjco said:
I bought a new hitachi c10fsh two years ago, I also have an old hitachi 10" slider. There is some difference in the old from the new. But i am really impressed with their new one. I have a dewalt slider, and one of my guys has the dual slider makita. I still much prefer my hitachi for quality and accuracy over anything I've used. Other than a kapex ofcourse.
I've got a 5 year old fsh that's still tight but I couldn't resist buying a kapex last summer and after a while of using it and seeing how it's that next step more accurate and user friendly than the hitachi the kapex is my go to saw. That old hitachi is still a better saw than any other saw except the kapex now.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
Those old Hitachi's were incredibly good. It's what I learned on. If they still made them I would pick one up today. It's a shame what has happened to Hitachi over the years.

I have had the Milwaukee now for 4 years, I believe. It's a good saw, but heavy. My next saw will be a Kapex. The weight alone is reason enough.
I have the Milwaukee too. Probably bought it at the same time that you did. I paid $299 and am very satisfied. I do have two of the Hitachi 8 1/4 saws as well. They are beat down a little, but you can't beat the weight and portability.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Reported Post by TBFGhost

....no flop in my LS1016. Over a year old now. It cuts a bevel just as well as my Bosch GCM12SD.

I've not used the double tube on the Makita, but I did play with it once on a display. I got to say, first impressions weren't positive. It felt a bit floppy.

I like the robot, and the fixed tube.
Having the tubes one above the other seams more stable considering the direction of the user inputted force.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts