Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many treads here about Angie's list and other sites, when people asking is there a benefit to join this sites, etc. So I just read a Nice Article in regard to Angie's list.

So above is a link to this article maybe some will find it useful or as an eye opener.

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
yea..i read that..kinda nice karma for the guys that offer these ''inspection'' deals..jmo
Damn, hoss. Whats wrong with doing an inspection? Am I missing something?

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Great article. My mother thinks Angie's List is great. I want to strangle her every time she sends me a link to a promotion asking "Why can't you do XYZ that cheap?". I don't charge her a dime for her work, but I do charge her friends, and sometimes she whines that I'm over-charging them. I seriously want to slap the living chit out of her (and Angie herself) sometimes :mad:. That ***** is ruining it for people who want to make a decent wage. And I can't believe she is still in business with her TV ads claiming she never takes a dime for a contractor to be listed. What fvcking BS! Every time I hear the name 'Angie', my blood boils.

/rant

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
Great article. My mother thinks Angie's List is great. I want to strangle her every time she sends me a link to a promotion asking "Why can't you do XYZ that cheap?". I don't charge her a dime for her work, but I do charge her friends, and sometimes she whines that I'm over-charging them. I seriously want to slap the living chit out of her (and Angie herself) sometimes :mad:. That ***** is ruining it for people who want to make a decent wage. And I can't believe she is still in business with her TV ads claiming she never takes a dime for a contractor to be listed. What fvcking BS! Every time I hear the name 'Angie', my blood boils.

/rant
Ah, thats what Tom meant. I dont keep up with internet advertising. I knew there was a good reason if Tom was mad :laughing:

·
Professional Contractor
58 Posts
I refuse to work for Angie's List members.

No Thank You

Good Luck

Reactions: Jaws

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have had many rants here---and on other forums over the years about what an immoral business model angies List is---------

but what currently annoys me the most---- is that those MoFo's at Angies List will NOT stop calling me and trying to "sell" me.

I have told them repeatedly that I am not interested in EVER advertising with them and to PLEASE stop contacting me
Net result?---- 3-4 calls each and every effing week from angies list trying to sell me.

Personally---- my company sends out 6800 direct mail post cards each month. every 2-3 months we will get a call or a letter from someone asking to be taken off the list----which we promptly comply with. If You ask to be taken off the list you will never hear from us again

but not those MOFO's at Angies list--- they do not care!
stephen

·
Registered
370 Posts
There are inspections, with the purpose of providing information, and there are "inspections" the propose of which is to drum up business.

Real inspections should make money for the inspector. Real inspectors would not fold and offer to refund the cost of "inspection".

Looks like a cheap, (not good, imo), promotion that backfired. He should have known better.

Mark

·
Kowboy
2,471 Posts
"I responded with a rebuttal on Angie’s List, laying out my case. The homeowner called Angie’s List to complain about my rebuttal and it went into dispute. While in dispute, the rules required that his review would stay up and my response to it would come down."

This is why you should be a member of homeadvisor instead of Angie's list.

I've been with homeadvisor for over 5 years and have a 4.68 rating out of a possible 5. I wouldn't let them remove the couple of 2's I've gotten; they're priceless for credibility.

I've only asked them to remove a review once before regarding a lady who was reviewing a service I hadn't performed and for which I had email proof. They complied.

Recently, I refunded a customer half his money and wrote on the back of the check that by cashing the check he was acknowledging he was completely satisfied. He crossed out the writing, cashed the check, and wrote a very bad review.

I appealed to homeadvisor and they immediately removed the disputed review while they reviewed both sides. It has not been reposted; I doubt it will be.

One of their criteria for review removal is obvious lying. I sent them a picture of the writing on the uncashed check, so this should be a slam-dunk.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Control & money... That's what it's all about,,,,,,

I can't stand these type of sites......I despise them,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Feel sorry for some guys that fall into the idea,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Not a good move IMO....:rolleyes:

JMPOV,

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
about what an immoral business model angies List is---------

but what currently annoys me the most---- is that those MoFo's at Angies List will NOT stop calling me and trying to "sell" me.
I sent them an email last year asking how they can say on TV 'We never take money to be listed' and yet I know for a fact it costs money to be listed (higher). Their response is/was a constant barrage of emails offering me DISCOUNTS FOR SIGNING UP TODAY. No mention of my question, only promotional offers. That's why I have a separate gmail account for such things as scam artists and thieves - Of which Angie's List is both, IMO :mad:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Maybe the thread title should read " Stupid Angies List Promotion Nets Stupid Results"
A $99.00 inspection fee and minor repairs? Really homeowners get free inspections and quotes all day long. What he was offering was a roof repair for $99.00 bucks. He got what he deserved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts