Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Might give some builders on here a run for their money. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the incredible compliment, but I am well aware of how much time was put into the back end of this project. All the time spent planning out the smallest details would make this a very difficult project to profit from. This was a deck built for my wife and I, not something that will ever make me $$$!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Roadtrip, could you put your location in your profile? You reference “in our climate…” but we don’t know where that is.

A side question for you guys around the country: Roadtrip says the rails were not required in the first place – no requirement for code compliance.

I work in about 20 different jurisdictions and I believe most inspectors would have told me “you have no requirement for a safety railing, but once you put it on – it needs to meet code!” Is this something encountered elsewhere or are my inspectors just pricks?

BTW, I see nothing wrong with roadtrip’s safety railing. I believe horizontal railing members have been allowed since 2009 IRC. I’m assuming his height is correct and the bottom space is less than 4”.

Very nice project :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Roadtrip, could you put your location in your profile? You reference “in our climate…” but we don’t know where that is.

BTW, I see nothing wrong with roadtrip’s safety railing. I believe horizontal railing members have been allowed since 2009 IRC. I’m assuming his height is correct and the bottom space is less than 4”.

I am way up there in Alberta.

These products and methods have been used in our area with great success for over a decade now. This deck should still be standing many, many years from now.

The horizontal railing members did raise a few additional questions with the inspector. However, with the built in bench and the 42" railing height, he felt that there was no cause for concern.

The spacing between the boards is quite tight and would be difficult to climb.

The spacing between deck and lower rail is 3 1/2".

·
Artist and not a curator
10,097 Posts
Thanks for the incredible compliment, but I am well aware of how much time was put into the back end of this project. All the time spent planning out the smallest details would make this a very difficult project to profit from. This was a deck built for my wife and I, not something that will ever make me $$$!
I think most of the guys on here who ever do decks like that make money on them... Its just usually one of "those" clients that don't get discussed.

Nice and tidy!

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

A side question for you guys around the country: Roadtrip says the rails were not required in the first place – no requirement for code compliance.

I work in about 20 different jurisdictions and I believe most inspectors would have told me “you have no requirement for a safety railing, but once you put it on – it needs to meet code!” Is this something encountered elsewhere or are my inspectors just pricks?

Exactly how it is here in Lapeer County.

And yes, deck is amazing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Picture whores man. Whatever you got.
I will try to get a bunch more up here over the weekend. Until then, this is Day #1. That's my father helping for the first of many hours ... this was taken in June, 2013.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Nice lookin' project, man...I like how you trapped the angled, cantilevered rafters w/ bottom notch over front beam and top notch under the back.
Solid.

Mac

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nice lookin' project, man...I like how you trapped the angled, cantilevered rafters w/ bottom notch over front beam and top notch under the back.
Solid.

Mac
Good eye, Mac! I don't get to build with rough timber very often so really enjoyed that part. All the joinery was hand cut. Old school saw and chisel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OK … here you go!

FRAMING:

DECKING:

DECK POSTS:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
And a few more to finish the story …

RETAINING WALLS:

ARBOUR/PERGOLA:

PATIO/STEPS:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Now I need to get outside to start the paving stones on the parking pad beside the garage. Only a few more weeks of warm weather to get all the loose ends tied up!

It's been a long haul to get to here, but the results make it well worth the effort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Awesome pictures.
Thanks! There's a mix of crappy cell-phone shots with a few higher quality, but it should cover all the bases. There are still a few more, but I was running into issues uploading. Might try again later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Just noticed that it appears that it is perpetually sunny where I live. It couldn't be further from the truth. I spent many days slogging through the mud and snow to pull this off. I guess I only took pictures on the nice days!

·
Artist and not a curator
10,097 Posts
Hey man that is well thought out and executed with absolute precision. From post placement to seem board to stairs to pavers... Very well done.

Most don't want to pay for that kind of comprehensive work, you did it... Very rare a guy can think it out and do it, it'll be interesting to see some of your cabinetry work, you're an artist:thumbup:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts