Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading these boards with great interest for quite a while. It feels like it is the right time to begin contributing.

I am a 1st year cabinetmaker by day but a passionate handyman whenever I get the chance. I have been working on this project for the past two summers. Everything shown was designed and built by myself with lots of manpower provided by family and friends.

This is our own home and this started as a bare, dirt lot. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Beautiful work, excellent craftsmanship, couldn't have done better myself :thumbsup:

One question about the Fire-pit is that a kit? If not how did you make that, like to put something like this on my patio... Let me know please if its not a secret Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like very nice work! Not sure those horizontal ballisters would pass code around here though. I too am curious about the fire pit.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
My My Roadtrip, can I call you Trip for short ?

Nice altogether, all western red cedar ? The cantilever shade structure is well done I know it's not easy to keep that design together and in place after a year or so .

You and your people will have to keep the finish up but Hey, it's worth it.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the positive feedback!

The horizontal guards are considered decorative as the deck is at height which does not require railings at all. This has been inspected and passed by all required agencies. We included the railings to provide a bit of privacy on an otherwise very open corner lot.

Lots of comments regarding upkeep, etc. and I am not at all surprised. Yup, this whole thing could have been made with composites or vinyls but when you live and breathe wood all day, every day … plastic was not an option!

I may have mislead a few when I stated that all was western red cedar. All of the visible non-painted surfaces are western red cedar. The framing and associated structure is all pressure treated. And the painted surfaces are a combination of Medex panels (exterior mdf), Hardie board, and Smart Trim. In our climate, these painted surfaces will last a very long time between coats with very little annual maintenance required.

The cedar was all coated with Penofin penetrating oils and the painted surfaces received several generous coats of Benjamin Moore's Aura line of exterior paints.

The fire pit is not a kit. There is a steel sub-structure faced with a layer of cement-board for heat and fire resistance, then faced with the same trim materials mentioned above. The concrete cap was poured separately and placed on top, secured with high temperature silicone. The burner is an assembly of standard black-steel fittings and pipe, drilled to create the fire. It worked out great!

There are still a few missing pieces to the project so I did not include a few of the remaining camera angles. I will post more pictures when complete.

Until then, I am happy to answer any questions and provide more pictures as necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For further reference, the deck is just shy of 450 square feet. Not as small as it appears in the pictures. The table makes it look small, but that table is 10 feet long and the top is just shy of 3 1/2 feet wide. It comfortably seats 12 people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did a lot in a little area:thumbsup: I especially like the railing and fence, a lot of upkeep but REALLY sharp.
Thanks! I find that people all too often fail to see the potential in small yards. Or, they stick with the traditional boring builder deck bolted to the back of the house and end up staring at their garage all the time. We refused to go down that route. I don't think there is a square foot wasted in our space.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Well chit! Makes the deck that I am building right now around a big azz pool look like a kindergarden Lincoln logs project...

Very nice work, looks great.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
I've been reading these boards with great interest for quite a while. It feels like it is the right time to begin contributing.

I am a 1st year cabinetmaker by day but a passionate handyman whenever I get the chance. I have been working on this project for the past two summers. Everything shown was designed and built by myself with lots of manpower provided by family and friends.

This is our own home and this started as a bare, dirt lot. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

E]

Might give some builders on here a run for their money. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts