Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate writing this email/making this phone call and I have two of them to write tonight.

What's your verbiage for the "Just wanted to remind you you have an outstanding balance, you deadbeat" email?

Obviously kidding about the deadbeat part. I know things like that tend to get away from people.

What's your phrasing for the polite nudge to pay?

·
Registered
669 Posts
"I did the work, correct, and you were satisfied with that, no issues, nor problems!" Is there anything that needs to be addressed? I am able to work on anything needed! When they say "no" say then a payment is needed asap! I hope to see the payment in full with-in 72 hours!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Easy Gibson said:
I hate writing this email/making this phone call and I have two of them to write tonight. What's your verbiage for the "Just wanted to remind you you have an outstanding balance, you deadbeat" email? Obviously kidding about the deadbeat part. I know things like that tend to get away from people. What's your phrasing for the polite nudge to pay?
Hello client,
How are you today? I'm just checking to see if you received my invoice I sent on 00/00/13?
Thank you

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Man, I got an invoice 75 days old. I email the fudge outta that client. Threatened liens, lawsuits, etc...

The only reply I get is "it's being processed"....

I hired a lawyer three weeks ago, and he aint done shiat to get my money. Whatever you do screen your lawyer. Lazy bastids... I'll just lien the my own damned self.

Squeaky wheel...

·
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got two out right now that total about $1500. Obviously not giant money, but hey man, that's rent, gimme it!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Payment is due on the day the job is completed. I don't leave without final payment. I tell them it allows my wife to close out the invoice.

But it also states that in my contract, so they know it up front.

What does YOUR contract say?

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
Dear Customer

This letter is to remind you of your outstanding balance in the amount of $$$ Please remit this balance within (so many days) days or contact our office to advise us when we can expect to receive your payment.

If you have already mailed your payment, please accept our thanks

Sincerely,

You

P.S If don't receive a payment within (so many days) our representative will be on your door stop to collect.

Attachments

·
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Payment is due on the day the job is completed. I don't leave without final payment. I tell them it allows my wife to close out the invoice.

But it also states that in my contract, so they know it up front.

What does YOUR contract say?
Well I mean it says due upon completion, but it's very rare that anyone is home when I'm done. I usually leave it on the kitchen table or email it to them. Very rarely is it a problem.

Really, I just hate writing emails at all.

All City has the closest to what I typically use. Try to pawn it off on the mail or something so that it's nobody's fault.

Alright, here goes. Yee haw.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Great responses above.

I think it's important to let the client have an "out" on the first communication so they can agree with you that it was not their fault that "they are irresponsible";). I use the tone that it was probably an error and they did not receive the invoice due to it going to junk email, or lost in the snail mail, etc.

Then progressively work up.

I rarely leave a clients house anymore without a check since I've been burned before, but if it's a good one that you have dealt with a few times who quite honestly could have forgotten, start softly first.

You know the dynamics of the relationship and can plan accordingly.

My 2 pennies.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I don't pay for materials or register the warranty until the job is complete.

I tell the homeowners that once payment is received I send out the lien release and paid receipt.

If I don't receive the payment one week after I completed the project, I send a friendly reminder simply saying "Hi Homeowner, please note we still have not received the payment for the (insert project). We appreciate your prompt attention in settling this balance."

If I don't hear a week after that my next one is a little more harsh and goes along the lines of " Hi Homeowner, your payment is currently past due by 7 days. To avoid interest on the balance please submit payment immediately. Failure to receive payment within 5 business days will result in a lien being placed against the property. We appreciate your prompt attention in settling this debt"

If I don't get it the last one goes like this. "Mr. Homeowner, This is an attempt to collect a debt in the amount of XX. Payment must be received immediately. If we do not receive payment within 5 business days, we will be placing a lien against the property as well as our distributor"

·
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kind of atypical since it's a two pronged bid follow up and payment collection email, but it went a little something like this:

Hi Customer,

I just wanted to send a quick follow up email in regards to Job B to make sure you received the estimate I sent out last week. Sometimes I get redirected to spam when I send from the .com email address.

Additionally, I wanted to remind you that there is a balance due from Job A which was completed a few weeks ago. I've attached the invoice below. If payment has already been sent please accept our thanks!

Hope all is well.

Best,

Me

Greg24k, thanks for the lend on the "please accept our thanks"! It's the little lines like that I end up spending the most time on.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Great responses including your own Easy. Before I became a manly contractor, I wrote many emails every day in an office setting for 10 years, and I learned one thing: Only cover one subject per email for the greatest chance of getting a response.

·
GC/carpenter
43,942 Posts
One thing I've learned after all these years is how to ask for money. I'm not bashful that's for sure. It goes something like this, may I get a check. I believe the amount is on the contract. Thanks.

·
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great responses including your own Easy. Before I became a manly contractor, I wrote many emails every day in an office setting for 10 years, and I learned one thing: Only cover one subject per email for the greatest chance of getting a response.
This is a great piece of advice. I was willing to break the rule because I'm pretty sure the guy can handle the basic multitasking scenario I just presented him with. hah

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I've got a g/c playing games with my money.. The last check was $200 short. When I called him on it he said it was a mistake . He says I'll meet you over at the house your on and settle up..That was 10 days ago. I called him today and told him to delete my number from your phone and find someone else to polish your burn pile lumber turds..I've got 7 miss calls in the last 5 hours:whistling After 10 years I'm kicking him ! No big loss!!! Truck ass G/C !!! It's been coming to a head for a few years now so I feel I may have made a move I will never regret!

·
GC/carpenter
43,942 Posts
blacktop said:
I've got a g/c playing games with my money.. The last check was $200 short. When I called him on it he said it was a mistake . He says I'll meet you over at the house your on and settle up..That was 10 days ago. I called him today and told him to delete my number from your phone and find someone else to polish your burn pile lumber turds..I've got 7 miss calls in the last 5 hours:whistling After 10 years I'm kicking him ! No big loss!!! Truck ass G/C !!! It's been coming to a head for a few years now so I feel I may have made a move I will never regret!
The only time I've ever been burned was by another contractor. This may not be something you can do, however this is why I only enter into prime contracts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts