Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a roofer, GC that built commercial and industrial buildings for 40 years and pretty much came to the conclusion that it is good policy to eliminate anything roof mounted, and / or any unnecessary roof penetrations or thru fasteners of any type if you want to assure a leak free roof system. Roofs themselves rarely leak, it's the stuff added to them that causes a leak.

I see lot's of folks promoting roof mounted solar panels and that just seems like a problem waiting to happen to me. Additional fasteners, penetrations, etc. all spell leak potential, plus come time to re-roof you will have the cost to remove and reinstall solar panels. Also, if you ever need to service the panels they are in a very unhandy place.

Anyway, would be curious to hear what others think on this subject?

·
Registered
11,195 Posts
A couple stories I've heard firsthand: squirrels chewing the wires, racoon getting into roof behind panel. We even have someone who runs the local solar program, who just reroofed and removed them for good.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Seeing more & more non roof mounted panels here in south central Tx. on acreage property. Guy up the road has whole roof, carport & garage covered. I once did government contract roofing. I’m w/you any penetration says potential leak. I’d be long gone to get any payback from them & I don’t care for them but really coming on down here

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine are ballast mounted, my mid century modern has a very low slope roof. Agree that penetrations are a cause of worry. Have a 2 friends that had structures made for panels and using them as shade structure for trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine are mounted to the standing seam with clamps and there are two holes in the roof for conduit. Im not to concerned about leaks but an advantage to having them closer to ground would easier snow removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,638 Posts
I am seeing people put them over shingled roofs which I think is crazy. Needs reroofed going to have to have someone come in and remove it all , reroof then reinstall, big bucks.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,567 Posts
I'm not concerned about what others do with their roofs. My roof is the only one I'm concerned about.

That said; Yes, I have panels mounted on my shingled roof. But I built the rack myself so it's über-easy to remove them.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,369 Posts
In an urban environment lots of times it's the only practical way to get enough panels going, more and more companies out here have both licenses (roofing and solar) so there's one point of responsibility.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you reshingle the house concurrently with installing the solar panels, the expected lifetime of both items runs in sync. And the panels are going to shield the shingles from wear and damage.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
they make a lot of different mounts .some have a foot/braket put on with the roof .integrated into the system . the panels themselves [i was told by installer] easily remove for roofers .one company told me if a roofjob needed to be done they would come out and remove as part of original purchase cost . even without putting brackets and such on a roof many roofs fail more to do with the workmenship . I get the point though

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am seeing people put them over shingled roofs which I think is crazy. Needs reroofed going to have to have someone come in and remove it all , reroof then reinstall, big bucks.
Not really that big of deal to take up the rack mounted type. Yes I would call in the a solar company but it might be a grand or less to take up and put back, only going to do it once every 20 years. The panels will save the roof under in case of hail.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No they are not cost effective and never were. Especially not roof mounted. It is rather amusing that some people think you can produce electricity cheaper than the power company. Which runs acres and acres of ground level panel farms. Sort of like building your own brewery because you think you can make beer cheaper than Anheuser Busch.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No they are not cost effective and never were. Especially not roof mounted. It is rather amusing that some people think you can produce electricity cheaper than the power company. Which runs acres and acres of ground level panel farms. Sort of like building your own brewery because you think you can make beer cheaper than Anheuser Busch.
My payback on my panels is 5 years, produce 100% of power needs on yearly basis. Pay a couple bucks a few months of the year and electric company pays me a few bucks a couple months of the year. 19 325w panels. Law in my state when I purchased requires electric company to sell back power at night that I produced during the day at same rate. I look at like I pre purchased my power for the next 25 years. Paid in full, not financed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, it makes sense if you can benefit from subsidies. The state pays the cost difference. In fact the people who don't have EVP or wind mills pay for the cost. But on an overall economic basis, no.
What happens if 50% or 80% or 90% of the houses install EVP? That whole arrangement doesn't work anymore, the poco loses money heavily and the state is forced to change the rules of the game.
Also, most payback analyses we looked at were not complete. They didn't account for things like maintenance, repairs, insurance, time value of money, etc. Not saying yours doesn't, just an observation on the ones I have seen.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I'm not concerned about what others do with their roofs. My roof is the only one I'm concerned about.

That said; Yes, I have panels mounted on my shingled roof. But I built the rack myself so it's über-easy to remove them.
And you are a sparky which helps.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
I have a friend that has a windmill. Good size one too, was suppose to be able to maintain a zero reading on the meter, never happened. He is thinking od taking it down, 120' tower. Not all wind is good wind for a lot of the.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,567 Posts
Yea but you can get roofers real cheap , buy them a 6 pack and thy are happy. 😅
Yep. My roofer is really really cheap. In fact, I've never received a bill.

Reactions: Randy Bush
1 - 20 of 55 Posts