Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, herer I go again starting a new thread. Its true that i have quite a bit of questions, but im new to this site and i am eager to know how other people do their job.

This question is about applying 2 finish coats.
Do you guys apply 2 finish coats to every paint job religiously? or only in certain situations.

Me personally, I apply a second coat only when the first coat did not cover well. One example would when i am applying a dark color over a light color, or an extremely light color over a dark color. when colors are both similar then one coat usually does the job.

However, what is your take on this?

i have seen houses that i have painted ten years ago with one coat of finish(a extremely good prep job of course) and they still look great.

I am asking this question because i always hear people saying "two coats is always better than one" Is this really true or are they just saying it to get more money out of the job?

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
saucedo80 said:
Me personally, I apply a second coat only when the first coat did not cover well. One example would when i am applying a dark color over a light color, or an extremely light color over a dark color. when colors are both similar then one coat usually does the job.

I do the same thing. The only time I apply a second coat when it isn't needed is when the customer asks me to. Although they usually don't want the second coat when it is nessasary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When painting exterior I would always prefer to apply 3 coats total--1 primer -2 finish or 2 primer-1 finish. My personal choice would be 2 primer-1 finish. I also like to prime (water base primer), fill holes, sand, caulk and prime again, sand, finish coat. This way the wood filler and caulk is sealed between two coats of primer. I am talking about new construction. If it's an old house I would do 1 primer (everything--not spotprime) and 1 finish
When it comes to new interiors I would do 1 oil based primer-1 finish or 1 oil primer-2 finish.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Depends on how you bid the job.

2 coat bid =2 coats
1 coat bid=1 coat.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If sprayed and tone is about the same, one coat usually suffices. I don't care how good that you think that you are with a roller, there will always be thin spots and speckles with one coat. Big color changes may require 2 primers and 2-3 topcoats. I know that I mentioned Barbie pink before, worst nightmare ever.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I know that I mentioned Barbie pink before, worst nightmare ever.
Was that for your bedroom Teetor? :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts