Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Already been said, but those are very bad. No penetration at all, just gobs of filler metal sitting on top of the joint, an inspector would fail some of those for sure. The tread plate on top being welded together is not an issue in theory. But not the end of the world either, just get a real welder to come and grind out the poor welds and re-weld.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I can't tell from the pics what's galvanized v. painted v. coated some other way. What's the plan to keep it all from corroding? It could be I'm looking at it but just can't tell - I'm no ironworker.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I can't tell from the pics what's galvanized v. painted v. coated some other way. What's the plan to keep it all from corroding? It could be I'm looking at it but just can't tell - I'm no ironworker.
Steels going to rust eventually ,a good oil base paint when needed . I was thinking about going with galvanized but that would've been an additional 2 grand . I met with owner yesterday and told him what I wanted fixed. He looked at me like I was being unreasonable......really .I realized he has no clue what a good job is. He told ME I should've told him when the work was being done what I didn't like and not afterward.Told him that's YOUR job to babysit.He's coming back today to replace 1 piece of diamond plate platform and to clean up the welds.This guys been in business for almost 30 years and says I'm the FIRST to complain about his work. I find that hard to believe and even harder to know he's been around for that long .

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Steels going to rust eventually ,a good oil base paint when needed . I was thinking about going with galvanized but that would've been an additional 2 grand . I met with owner yesterday and told him what I wanted fixed. He looked at me like I was being unreasonable......really .I realized he has no clue what a good job is. He told ME I should've told him when the work was being done what I didn't like and not afterward.Told him that's YOUR job to babysit.He's coming back today to replace 1 piece of diamond plate platform and to clean up the welds.This guys been in business for almost 30 years and says I'm the FIRST to complain about his work. I find that hard to believe and even harder to know he's been around for that long .
If he's been in business 30 years you're not the first to complain. There are people who would complain if Michelangelo painted their dining room ceiling.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use a plate man (certified) and welder(Certified) and structural engineer when doing metal staircases on homes. these people are professionals, and will save your ass if ever a lawsuit occurs (never had a problem).
That work my friend looks like ****tttt!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very scary, sorry you got screwed.

Not only are the welds junk, but the channel to channel connections are horrid! Un-ground torch cut copes with no radiuses, and I see a gouge in one of the channels near the bolts. Not okay in any way...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts