Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had these stairs and platform installed and saw a few issues with them . What I need to know is what is acceptable and what isn't . The last structure was destroyed by Sandy and was made out of wood so I'm also bringing up to code .

Attachments

·
Thread Killer
185 Posts
Rusty pretty much summed it up. Those welds are rough to say the least. What is that piece of red C-channel supposed to be doing?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rusty pretty much summed it up. Those welds are rough to say the least. What is that piece of red C-channel supposed to be doing?
They cantilevered the diamond plate platform and used pieces of c-channel for supports every 4 ft. Should they have used triangular pieces of flat stock .

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like it was done by someone who was trying to learn how to do steel fabrication.
I'm not at all happy about the way it turned out . I don't know a lot about the welding trade but know enough to be concerned about the way this was put together.Should I make him replace the platform so it's not pieced together.Is there anything else that you see that needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm not at all happy about the way it turned out . I don't know a lot about the welding trade but know enough to be concerned about the way this was put together.Should I make him replace the platform so it's not pieced together.Is there anything else that you see that needs to be corrected.
Diamond plate sheets are available in standard size sheets of 4'x8'. I'm pretty sure larger sheets are also available. It's always best practice to avoid joints, if possible.

No disrespect to you but, since it is a staircase :whistling with handrails :whistling you really should get someone qualified to look that work over.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Diamond plate sheets are available in standard size sheets of 4'x8'. I'm pretty sure larger sheets are also available. It's always best practice to avoid joints, if possible.

No disrespect to you but, since it is a staircase :whistling with handrails :whistling you really should get someone qualified to look that work over.
I got this guy after seeing his shop and his trucks were all set up looking professional. His company is licensed bonded and insured . Sure fooled the chit out of me . I paid a lot for this work but held back $1600 that is the last payment.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I hear you. Those pictures don't lie, those welds were not done by someone who has had the proper training. I'll bet if you gave that piece of channel used as a "support" a good wack with a hammer it would come off.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I did a lot of catwalks and stairs for a nuclear generating station many years back.
That would have been thrown out.
And him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts