Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to subscribe to a builders magazine to stay current on new products and techniques... What do you all read?
Thanks
Mark

·
632 Posts
I get JLC, or did until I moved. Just realized I haven't got one in a while.

I cancelled my fine home building subscription probably 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Remodeling and builder magazine are my favorite.....they are both free..... JLC is pretty good......Fine Homebuilding has one decent article per issue, maybe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PoleBarnsNY said:
Those mentioned and qualified remodeler, deck builder, replacement contractor for our specialty, rural builder, frame building news and metal roofing
Wow never knew. A magazine for metal roofers. Awesome information. Thanks all

·
Registered
77 Posts
I remember when JLC was in a newspaper format chocked full of good info, and FH was article after article that you actually read all of and enjoyed.
Dropped my subscription to both.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I remember the day my Playboy and Fine Homebuilding arrived on the same day. I picked up the FH first and knew my life as I had known it was over.

Joe
That's how you know you transition from young to old.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I have online subscriptions to fine homebuilding and fine woodworking. I use it from more of an archive standpoint. When I have say a deck coming up that I have questions on, I will go back and read archived articles to get ideas.

I'm going to be tapping into some of these free mags.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I dropped JLC and FHB a few years ago. The recession really cut a lot of pages. I'm on a free trial now of JLC its now got more content.

Here's an online mag/blog that I believe is fantastic. This is not a tree hugger's site but great articles everyday of the most up to date problems and solutions every builder and remodeler can use.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I remember when JLC was in a newspaper format chocked full of good info, and FH was article after article that you actually read all of and enjoyed.
Dropped my subscription to both.

I hear you loud and clear on that mindset. Every time I think of the reasons why I keep renewing my subscriptions to those magazines it comes down to one thing........it is a bad habit of mine. Being long time subscribers to both of the above (FHB ISSUE # 8 and JLC all the way back to when they were New England Builder ) I can honestly say this,BOTH are a mere shadow of the magazine they once were.

Getting a bunch of the free mags. listed by others, along with the two I pay for I 'M of the mindset there is not really and truly a really good trade magazine. If you track the ownership of most,it points to a big conglomerate,more interested in the almighty buck than in the dissemination of information.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
It used to bother me that FHB transitioned to so much content about energy code and insulation. Now, I find it to be a good resource for those items. The articles on air sealing and insulation details helped a lot on trying to build my home as energy efficient and comfortable as possible and to comply with the new energy code for projects.

I decided instead of being resistant to it, just embrace it as another resource and take bits and pieces of information where I can get it. No once source has all the answers. And also, it's nice to have something to read on the can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts