Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here and have learned a lot about the business concerns of contractors, but I wanted to ask directly what area of your business would you use outside help for.

My background:
On the small business contracting side, I am at the wife/50% owner of a small contractor & do bookkeeping, digital marketing (social media, social media advertising, e-newsletter, blogging), and basic WordPress maintenance.

My day job is in strategy and business development for one of the biggest contractors in the US. My education is in engineering and business. I maintain a professional engineering license in my home state, and have field experience and project management experience. I have experience building and updating CPM schedules and project cost reporting for $100M+ jobs.

As an independent consultant, I currently have two clients. One is a cleaning business, and I'm helping him with his digital marketing strategy and implementation and a website revamp. The other is another contractor & I'm helping him move to QuickBooks Online, setting up mobile invoicing, and integrating his Square account with QB. I'm also building a job cost spreadsheet because he doesn't want to use what's built into QB. I will probably get my QuickBooks Pro Advisor certification after this, if it looks like this will be my focus area.

I'm just getting started with the consulting side, and while it is fun to pull from all my experiences and help out everyone with everything, I need to choose something to focus on. Different types of businesses at different stages obviously have different needs, but I would love to hear individually what your biggest concerns are, and what you might actually pay someone to help you with.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Welcome to ContractorTalk. It's nice to see your introduction here; we have an Intro forum also.

Most small contractors need help with accounting and money management - identifying on a month to month basis where the money comes from and where it goes.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I might be old fashioned but I still prefer to do everything on paper.

I'd love to see a company start that offered a wide assortment of bid forms, invoice forms, contracts, ect, ect, ect that were easily customizable.

Think of getting business cards from Vista Print but this time its forms/documents.

Until then I'm stuck with generic invoice books, rubber stamps, and Microsoft Excel.

Also wish that something like Angie's List would become popular in this area. I think it would be a great marketing tool but no one in this area uses it. I even ask my clients to post reviews for me there and most have no clue or never bother to do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts