Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
!0 days ago we laid marble stairs.
we started the afternoon and didn't finish that day, the last 4 steps my partner put down on his own.

so today i finally went up to bring some materials to the second floor,
AND SAW THIS.

Marco, my partner didn't see anything wrong, as so the the HO that live there.
The architect passed by twice in the last 2 weeks and said it was perfect.

I gonna order another 2 steps and see if i can adjust the remaining ones

400 bucks out the door. am i the only one that sees this?
P1030589.JPG
P1030588.jpg

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The only thing I can see from the pics is the grain of the stone is not lined up. But why waste your money if both home owner and designer are happy because man you've got other fires to put out in life.

Unless its structural problem ie trip hazard. Then the photo makes it too hard to notice.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in the 1st pict.. you can easily see the last 2 steps are not square to the wall.
I just can't leave it, its wrong.
craftsmanship and all.

tell the truth, most clients don't know what a good job is anyways. its up to us to show them

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I'm all for integrity and doing a good job and all that, but those steps look good. If the owner and architect are happy, accept it and move on.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it doesn't bother you that they are not square?
That would come out at my house.

and I don't want it to bite me on the ass a few yrs. up the road.
I already ordered the steps, 2 hrs. to fix. Saturday morning no motorbike for me

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I can see they're a parallelogram, how are they going to fit to the wall once you cut the tread square?

It looks as if the walls are skewed to the hall floor. Looking down to the forth step, it appears off slightly, gets worse as you move up each tread.

Could he have had to install this way to keep the floor edge of the step parallel to a wall we don't see? Would suck to fix this then find out you can't get the floor to fit properly.

Tom

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
The whole thing is MC Escher-like and gives me a headache! (Nicely done!) I don't think anyone will ever notice a 1/16" out of square on those stairs!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I thought at first the steps were put that way to follow the curve of the walls or the structure underneath. But now that you mention it, they do look odd compared to the steps at the other end of the run.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Since the edges of the top three steps seem to be in line, it looks safe and yet artistic. As if it's meant to be out of square. Let the architect take the credit. (Caulk the left side, though.)

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the edges of the top three steps seem to be in line, it looks safe and yet artistic. As if it's meant to be out of square. Let the architect take the credit. (Caulk the left side, though.)
no need to, on the side along the wall get a marble edge "battiscopa"

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then you're good to go! Bravo.

Very cool to step, actually. Kind of brings it up a notch. "No extra charge!"
I didn't think of it that way, damn now i done ordered the marble.

Reactions: EthanB

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Post an after pic so I understand the problem with the before.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
No need to fix something no one else sees...that's called vanity. You have to decide what's more important: perfection, or earning a living. Nothing is ever perfect, only levels of imperfection. You obviously satisfied the owner, & archy, so collect the check & go to the next job!

btw, steps look great!
Joe

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think it's only 1/16" out... I see three + inches out of square to the wall. It will look 1000x better when fixed.
We have a winner
its almost 5ins. off square

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
We have a winner
its almost 5ins. off square
Of course we see that. The question is why. I say it's whimsical (artsy folks like that word) and reflects the architect's vision. :whistling

Just wondering how you're going to square it with angled walls, or do you need to square the back edge for the adjoining flooring?

·
Registered
Remodel
28,687 Posts
Really, this is one of those situations where the problem is the difference between what it is and how the customer wants it to be. I tend to not put my aesthetics above those of whoever is writing the check.

Personally, I don't think "square" was the design goal here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts