Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Highway near where I live is getting repaved, and the shoulder in some sections is a dark burgundy color. Like the color of spilled wine.

Never seen something like it before. Anyone know what the deal is?

Delta

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
One customer I was working at had her driveway all blocked off and I asked her if they were coming to blacktop that day. She said "No, they are going to redtop it".
Sure enough they pavement was actually, I wouldn't call red, but more the color of brown/orange. Anybody around central Jersey knows, the color of the shale and clay in the area.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Highway near where I live is getting repaved, and the shoulder in some sections is a dark burgundy color. Like the color of spilled wine.

Never seen something like it before. Anyone know what the deal is?

Delta
It's a Cal Trans thing to delineate shoulders in safety corridors and to mark bike lanes.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
I have seen a lot of roads around here that the pavement looks red. lots of time has to due with the color of rock used.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
We have one area in our county that has all concrete crosswalks and turn lanes on a 4 mile long, 4 lane divided state/county road in the county (with turn lanes and deceleration/turn lanes) done in a dark red color. They are now doing the reconstruction in our area (continuation) in a similar manner.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,323 Posts
They're doing green for bike lanes here where they approach a merge with cars, looks nice but one wonders how long it will stay green.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Concrete roads, and to a lesser extent asphalt, will take on a hint of the color of the aggregate.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
For concrete, the type of pigment (synthetic, natural) has a huge effect on the permanence and especially durability in cold climates with freeze/thaw conditions.

Good green is pricey (usually chrome oxide based). Carbon black has a limited life even if it is cheap, looks good initially in concrete.

Reactions: dielectricunion
1 - 10 of 10 Posts