Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What's up with Andersen windows

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  TimNJ 
#1 ·
Was at my lumber yard to order some Andersen windows and was told Andersen pulled the plug on them and some others in my area . It wasn't as if they weren't moving enough of the product , they have their own warehouse stocked with Andersen products.They've also been an Andersen dealer for at least 30-40 years.The only information I got was that Andersen may be opening retail outlets. I don't know If it's a trial thing in my area (northeast) or if it's going nationally .

#2 ·
It seems that Andersen is trying to separate themselves from to low buck price market by promoting the Renewal line that normally requires that they install the windows. - Probably because of the fact that about 2/3 of all windows are installed improperly by who knows who people and give the product itself a bad image. Some builders here are subbing out window installation instead of having their own people doing it. - Possibly because of problems or insurance rates and suggestions to have it done by a certified window installer. I think Renewal by Andersen uses only certified installers if possible. I know one installer that does about 750 to 850 sliding door installs a year (he does not do windows).

#4 ·
Most interesting...several years ago this area was a battle ground between Anderson and Pella...then Pella got some regional stores, dropped the sales rep, and very quickly dropped off the radar...been a long time since I saw a Pella window sticker in a new home around here. If Anderson drops local suppliers and opens a retail shop, competing on installs, I think we'll see the same path Pella took...

#5 ·
I still prefer the Andersons. Not sure why I am not allowed to install or sell the renewal.

One thing about Anderson they have total control over the product and the retailers must only be allowed to markup a small percent. When you get a quote thats about it.

#18 ·
That's what I was told . For now a showroom with the entire product line keeps you in the club . So Windowrama is one such retailer here in N.Y. that will continue to sell Andersen windows BUT..... they also carry other window and door lines . Also was told Andersen may start to buy up these retailers and run them under the Andersen name . We shall see .

#11 ·
I think Renewal by Andersen is directed to bid replacement market where they do not want uncontrolled installations and no one else has the backing ($'s and manufacturing) to do it. From what I understand they do not want to sell the Renewal windows to the big boxes because of the possibility of the very common installation problems by others.

Good windows, especially because of the window quality and control over the installation that they cannot get from the big box market.

I am going to have 4 large (3'-6" x 4'-6" sliding windows replaced in a few weeks. After the doors that have been in for 2 years (-30F to +95F range) that make you feel like you are in sealed room summer or winter. It is strange since I usually thought a window was just a glorified hole in a wall, but could make few bucks off of amateurish mistakes by so-called contractors.

#14 ·
I've seen the ads by Andersen,looking to qualify installers,so my guess was the intricate installation procedure was getting shorted in the field ,costing them warranty issues.

Question is,what are they willing to pay their certified installers for this time consuming task?

I've done one installation and it takes a lot of time to do these as they request,upping the price to a point of almost making it less expensive to do a complete tear out and prime installation.
Between the cost of the custom unit and labor its seems better to do the prime unit to get a better insulation factor around the old window frames,provided you can get a prime unit close to the opening size.

#17 ·
I make some money off the poor installation of windows and the results and findings are paid well and quickly by insurance companies (builders, contractors, subcontractors and homeowners insurances).

I could install my own windows, but age and logistics make sense to have a professional installation. That gives me time to go fishing and not worry about the installation.

#22 ·
The "renewal" product is an excellent line of windows. But, Andersen controls every aspect of it's sales and installation procedures. They will give the renewal line to a financially sound dealer that agrees to or already has a large showroom, has a separate, supervised, installation department, a supervised sales force, a marketing department etc.

In return, they get the "franchise" on the product line exclusively, for their geographical area. Here in IN, it's the entire state. But, for the "privilege" of selling the renewal product exclusively, you must spend a certain amount of $$$ in advertising the renewal line, all installers must be certified, all sales force must go through approved training and on and on.... It's gotten so bad, that the local renewal dealer for YEARS (really, since the product's inception), just kicked them to the curb last year because Andersen wanted them to stop using their company name and VERY well known jingle, in Andersen Renewal ads. Now, I'm sure there was more to it than that, but that was the major reason I heard.

Marvin Infinity operates much the same way. Not all Marvin mind you (just like not all Andersen products are brought to market this way), but the Infinity line, is brought to market much like the Renewal by Andersen. Big dealers, big showrooms, big advertising budgets, huge profits and insanely high prices. Nice business model, if you can make it work.

#25 ·
See that a lot around here...sometimes it's a result of people jacking up the humidity in their home in the winter, causing the window to condensate at the bottom. Only solution to it is to keep up with ensuring the wood sash is properly sealed with poly/paint/etc...even then, any wood with high moisture content against it will give way eventually!

#27 · (Edited)
I'd agree fellas-- if it was a wood window... Not an "end all, be all composite" that is supposedly far stronger and more durable than any other material know to man, and typically prices the product along those lines.
Here is a question that no one asked: Can I get a window that is priced higher than nearly everything on the market, is made of vinyl mixed with saw dust, kinda bulky, has inferior air infiltration ratings and u factors (and every other performance measure for that matter), and get an inferior warranty to boot? (all in comparison to the better vinyl offerings)
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Fibrex!
Truth be told, I think it looks nice, but its fairly average in every other way. I just can't stand the marketing and sales tactics mostly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.