Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my lumber yard to order some Andersen windows and was told Andersen pulled the plug on them and some others in my area . It wasn't as if they weren't moving enough of the product , they have their own warehouse stocked with Andersen products.They've also been an Andersen dealer for at least 30-40 years.The only information I got was that Andersen may be opening retail outlets. I don't know If it's a trial thing in my area (northeast) or if it's going nationally .

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It seems that Andersen is trying to separate themselves from to low buck price market by promoting the Renewal line that normally requires that they install the windows. - Probably because of the fact that about 2/3 of all windows are installed improperly by who knows who people and give the product itself a bad image. Some builders here are subbing out window installation instead of having their own people doing it. - Possibly because of problems or insurance rates and suggestions to have it done by a certified window installer. I think Renewal by Andersen uses only certified installers if possible. I know one installer that does about 750 to 850 sliding door installs a year (he does not do windows).

·
Registered
902 Posts
Most interesting...several years ago this area was a battle ground between Anderson and Pella...then Pella got some regional stores, dropped the sales rep, and very quickly dropped off the radar...been a long time since I saw a Pella window sticker in a new home around here. If Anderson drops local suppliers and opens a retail shop, competing on installs, I think we'll see the same path Pella took...

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I still prefer the Andersons. Not sure why I am not allowed to install or sell the renewal.

One thing about Anderson they have total control over the product and the retailers must only be allowed to markup a small percent. When you get a quote thats about it.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I think it may have to do with their contract with HD.

I bet the small retailors are being let go in favor of the giant.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
They are required to have a showroom, featuring the entire product line which takes up a lot of space. This started several years ago, but has become a bigger problem since then.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I think it may have to do with their contract with HD.

I bet the small retailors are being let go in favor of the giant.
No, they have more trouble with HD than smaller vendors. They want the other vendors to have bigger showrooms like Pella did/does and sell to the architects and high end sales

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I think Renewal by Andersen is directed to bid replacement market where they do not want uncontrolled installations and no one else has the backing ($'s and manufacturing) to do it. From what I understand they do not want to sell the Renewal windows to the big boxes because of the possibility of the very common installation problems by others.

Good windows, especially because of the window quality and control over the installation that they cannot get from the big box market.

I am going to have 4 large (3'-6" x 4'-6" sliding windows replaced in a few weeks. After the doors that have been in for 2 years (-30F to +95F range) that make you feel like you are in sealed room summer or winter. It is strange since I usually thought a window was just a glorified hole in a wall, but could make few bucks off of amateurish mistakes by so-called contractors.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I only installed them once, 13 of them, but same job. I loved the Windows. I didn't know you couldn't buy them from big box. I bought mine from supply house but thought they could be purchased anywhere

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I think Renewal by Andersen is directed to bid replacement market where they do not want uncontrolled installations and no one else has the backing ($'s and manufacturing) to do it. From what I understand they do not want to sell the Renewal windows to the big boxes because of the possibility of the very common installation problems by others.

Good windows, especially because of the window quality and control over the installation that they cannot get from the big box market.

I am going to have 4 large (3'-6" x 4'-6" sliding windows replaced in a few weeks. After the doors that have been in for 2 years (-30F to +95F range) that make you feel like you are in sealed room summer or winter. It is strange since I usually thought a window was just a glorified hole in a wall, but could make few bucks off of amateurish mistakes by so-called contractors.
why don't you stay over at diy and blow that crap you keep posting about window installers over there?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I've seen the ads by Andersen,looking to qualify installers,so my guess was the intricate installation procedure was getting shorted in the field ,costing them warranty issues.

Question is,what are they willing to pay their certified installers for this time consuming task?

I've done one installation and it takes a lot of time to do these as they request,upping the price to a point of almost making it less expensive to do a complete tear out and prime installation.
Between the cost of the custom unit and labor its seems better to do the prime unit to get a better insulation factor around the old window frames,provided you can get a prime unit close to the opening size.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I make some money off the poor installation of windows and the results and findings are paid well and quickly by insurance companies (builders, contractors, subcontractors and homeowners insurances).

I could install my own windows, but age and logistics make sense to have a professional installation. That gives me time to go fishing and not worry about the installation.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are required to have a showroom, featuring the entire product line which takes up a lot of space. This started several years ago, but has become a bigger problem since then.
That's what I was told . For now a showroom with the entire product line keeps you in the club . So Windowrama is one such retailer here in N.Y. that will continue to sell Andersen windows BUT..... they also carry other window and door lines . Also was told Andersen may start to buy up these retailers and run them under the Andersen name . We shall see .

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
That's what I was told . For now a showroom with the entire product line keeps you in the club . So Windowrama is one such retailer here in N.Y. that will continue to sell Andersen windows BUT..... they also carry other window and door lines . Also was told Andersen may start to buy up these retailers and run them under the Andersen name . We shall see .

I went to a Windowrama here in south Jersey when I was looking for wood center hinge patio doors.
The price they gave me for "Builders Door" was more than what the local yard wanted for Andersen Frenchwood Hinge.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts