Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to replacing a metal framed window in a brick veneer house what's your typical strategy for the replacement window? Let's assume the old metal framed window is a new construction metal finned one.

Do you typically plan on cutting out the entire frame of the old window and install a new replacement to fit the old brick openning?

Do you remove the removal window sections and install the new inside the old frame and trim inside and outside?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Did one of these recently. New window is sized to fit the opening of the brick veneer. Remove as much glass as possible in the existing window. Carefully recip. saw the old fins off. Remove existing frame. The one I did had sheetrock returns that needed to be cut back to allow the new window to sit back fully. I was able to tuck insulation between the jambs during install. Set new window with screws through side jambs. Caulk the perimeter inside and out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
ill use a wonderbar against the brick and outside of framing, bending the middle of one side. frame is cut at that time unless its in process of falling apart anyway. the rest of frame is easily removed with prybar. cant remember needing to recip the fins, although ive heard that is a common procedure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ill use a wonderbar against the brick and outside of framing, bending the middle of one side. frame is cut at that time unless its in process of falling apart anyway. the rest of frame is easily removed with prybar. cant remember needing to recip the fins, although ive heard that is a common procedure.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Ive done them both ways,but one thing to consider when leaving the old frame is that any paper or flashing will still be intact
In my case, the area with veneer was under a porch roof. The rest of the house was vinyl and was removed to gain access to the frames, which were nailed with 8D commons. The house was wrapped with foil faced kraft paper. Window flashing tape was installed and sill flashing to lap onto last full coarse of vinyl.

When the fins are used to attach to the framing behind the veneer, a wonderbar will do more damage than good.

·
Banned
9 Posts
When it comes to replacing a metal framed window in a brick veneer house what's your typical strategy for the replacement window? Let's assume the old metal framed window is a new construction metal finned one.

Do you typically plan on cutting out the entire frame of the old window and install a new replacement to fit the old brick openning?

Do you remove the removal window sections and install the new inside the old frame and trim inside and outside?
i would take out entire window + framing. usually, when metal window need replacedments, everything is deteriorated or leaky. measurement is critical. add all-new prehung unit. if you mistake measure like new prehung is too small, you may build up perimeter with good strong wood like poplar then install.

then trim out with siding brake. dont worry.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,203 Posts
When the fins are used to attach to the framing behind the veneer, a wonderbar will do more damage than good.
Been quite a while since I did one, but it remembers like they're seldom nailed very securely at all. I've always done it by collapsing the frame, and had no excessive incidental damage.

Never needed to sawzall the fins; just a nail or three.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting the old window frame out completely is never really a problem, even real brick homes they aren't that big of a problem.

Putting the new one in the old frame is usually a bit less troublesome from the point of not being as critical measurement wise, but it adds the trim work on the outside, which sometimes is an issue for us since we are usually only doing the bathroom window and the other windows will all look different then this new one with the trim on the exterior.

When we do a glass block window you are going to have new trim around it cause the glass blocks are never sized to work perfectly in the old space, but since it's glass block it looks so different anyways it usually doesn't matter.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,203 Posts
Putting the new one in the old frame is usually a bit less troublesome from the point of not being as critical measurement wise, but it adds the trim work on the outside, which sometimes is an issue for us since we are usually only doing the bathroom window and the other windows will all look different then this new one with the trim on the exterior.
That's why I've never done it that way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I've done them both ways. I'll use the old frame as a stop and snap a casing around it, securing it inside the interior jamb with a pin nail.

Taking them out is good also. It's just a little more work

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts