Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have no idea, but I will take a guess:laughing:

Maybe back in the day was there an old gas wall sconce fixture on the wall and that is the old valve to turn it on?

I have come across gas piping for wall sconces on tons of real old remodels, but never something like that.

Dave

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Looks like an old timer switch.

Reactions: dom-mas

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Going by the 1/4" of paint, it's probably been there long enough for the room to have been repurposed a dozen times. :laughing:

Placed so close to the floor, it seems as though it would be a set-and-forget type of thing.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
It might have something to do with electrical or low voltage or gas or hot water/steam.

See, aren't I helpful? :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Someone please crank the dang thing!

·
Contractor
7,667 Posts
That's a door bell, the wire,(which is cut), would have run to the front door button. when pressed a magnetic coil inside would oscillate and a small hammer would strike a sounding bell which is located inside.

The "switch" could be rotated in order to control the volume of the ringing, or turn it off entirely.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That's a door bell, the wire,(which is cut), would have run to the front door button. when pressed a magnetic coil inside would oscillate and a small hammer would strike a sounding bell which is located inside.

The "switch" could be rotated in order to control the volume of the ringing, or turn it off entirely.
Heavy equipment operator by day low voltage expert by night.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tgeb said:
That's a door bell, the wire,(which is cut), would have run to the front door button. when pressed a magnetic coil inside would oscillate and a small hammer would strike a sounding bell which is located inside. The "switch" could be rotated in order to control the volume of the ringing, or turn it off entirely.
Any idea of the time period it dates to?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts