Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reroofing a restaurant...owner complains that the ac ducts were ran incorrectly.. upstairs is freezing and downstairs is sweating.. its a small place, 80x20 downstairs and 30x 20 up. Any advice? Aside from closing vents off??

·
Registered
11,377 Posts
Reroofing a restaurant...owner complains that the ac ducts were ran incorrectly.. upstairs is freezing and downstairs is sweating.. its a small place, 80x20 downstairs and 30x 20 up. Any advice? Aside from closing vents off??
The only answer is...."it depends." Let an hvac guy take a look and figure it out.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the hvac guy is the one that designed it that way.. its really not my concern, I just feel for the guy because the GC he hired was really a drywall sub and the owner has all these problems with the design and construction. Ill post some pics of the roof in a few to show you the job they left him with.

Its just sad. The roof contract is for a Bur and they installed tpo. The gc says the roofer took off and is no where to be found, but I called the phone number on the contract and the guy answered the phone on the first ring.

Owner says every time the ac comes on, it blows the pilot light out on the water heater. It literally rains down the walls every time it rains. The roof was not terminated anywhere. It just stops...but not secured.

Long story short the Drywall "gc" is not taking responsibility for any of it and the owner is having to deal with all of it himself and doesn't know what to do. I apologized and empathized with him and he said, ya know, when you come to my restaurant, I don't make you cook your own food! Lol..

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Has he considered adding another unit for downstairs?

With lofts or second stories isn't that better anyway: dual zone, two thermostats, two independent units?

More money: yes, initially.
But best comfort I would think.

Just my thoughts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes he has two units installed. 2 big a $ s units in fact. I can't remember exactly what he was saying they did with them... I got there and he just went off on a tangent about all the things he was dealing with..

People do that to me for some reason, but I understand... and I usually have the answers to help them but I don't know much about lofts and hvac units...

Anyway, here's what they did w the roof. Its pretty pathetic..

ForumRunner_20140812_195106.jpg

ForumRunner_20140812_195132.jpg
They just stopped the tpo an inch over the parapet wall, didn't bother to terminate it with anything.

ForumRunner_20140812_195200.jpg it is good enough if you just tuck it up under the coping right? Lol

This black spot under the detail patch I'm lifting up, is a hole. They didn't have enough material I guess so they spliced it with some non reinforced. Maybe I'm wrong but I kinda thought the detail patches were used to reinforce welds.. and needed to be welded from the inside out.. not just on the edge as a material extender. Lol

ForumRunner_20140812_195224.jpg

ForumRunner_20140812_195249.jpg

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There may be something, or nothing wrong. could be the balancer, or it could be the ducting is sized or placed wrong. You can do a basic diagnosis yourself, with some cheap meters.

1 non contact thermometer, and one multi function shooting tool

This will give you roughly the amount of air and air temp coming out of each vent.

It may be as simple as an incorrectly sized branch.

A thermal camera is probably more useful overall, but costs a lot more.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,630 Posts
Why get complicated right out of the chute? 2 AC units, so I'd assume one is for the loft and one is for downstairs, each with their own thermostat.

Guess what happens if the thermostats are wired to the wrong units?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Well, thats just too obvious. My reason lets you purchase a few extra tools. :)

It could be one isn't even working! (blowing hot air).

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah ill leave it up to that guy to figure out. Lol. I've got to stop trying to fix everyone's problems. He learned the hard way about hiring a drywall sub for a gc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts