Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I thought it was about nailing down bamboo.
I see what you did there. Crazy how derailed a thread can get.....

Personally, I don't see where it really matters what finished floor is going down. Prepping plywood is prepping plywood. About the only floor it doesn't matter for is carpet.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
I thought it was about nailing down bamboo.
Right, the OP was asking about prepping for bamboo, but then the belt sanding crowd got razzed for using a belt sanders. My point was that unless you are refinishing a floor an edger is a nice but not necessary expense.

I also pointed out that I am using it for small tile jobs. That was the discussion that I was referring to about reading the ENTIRE thread, not just the OP.

It's pretty clear from those pictures that he is refinishing those areas and not prepping them for another material. His point was that a belt sander wouldn't do that, I agree, but that's only because it's not designed for floor refinishing.

It's not really a derailment as it's still the same topic, floor prep.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
At first to clean plywood or OSB of the overspray and paint to install LVP we decided to diamond grind it, it actually flattened some joints, back in the day we sanded with a buffer and 16 grit open coat carborundum stone sandpaper. Now it's all dust free floor prep, I don't really know the matrix for grinding wood with diamond blades, but it works pretty well. No paper to rip from a disc or belt, but if anyone knows of a specific diamond blade designed to grind plywood I need a few image-2572871597.jpg image-1153533345.jpg image-2112292660.jpg

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I saw that at a general rental business, might find a need for it, I don't think it would "sand" down high spots with accuracy, there's always so many variables, many tools and blades need to be available either to do a better job, or to speed it up.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts