Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would like an "edger" from everyone recommending them, and they look cool classic,
I'm mostly concrete though.
I was bidding on one but it went to. 600$, I'll keep looking, maybe when everyone else has theirs I'll be able to get one cheaper than 2k.
How bout those ones for under radiators , they work good as far as transferring sanding power to extended area of disc ?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Dude, when I was trying to liquidate my dad's stuff after he died, I saw stuff on Craigslist for next to nothing. It's a buyers market for used tools.

I've never used a radiator edger, but the Lagler edger is a lot like it in design. Bona has an out front style edger too that I've used. They aren't aggressive. The trick they say is to let the tool do the work. Thing is, A Clarke super 7 or an American Spinner is set up to where you can really sit down on it if you want to. Great for floor prep, but a big mark maker for sand and finish.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Dude, when I was trying to liquidate my dad's stuff after he died, I saw stuff on Craigslist for next to nothing. It's a buyers market for used tools.

I've never used a radiator edger, but the Lagler edger is a lot like it in design. Bona has an out front style edger too that I've used. They aren't aggressive. The trick they say is to let the tool do the work. Thing is, A Clarke super 7 or an American Spinner is set up to where you can really sit down on it if you want to. Great for floor prep, but a big mark maker for sand and finish.
Back in the day a company here in NJ owned by Rob Fuller called Harvester.
they made their own sanders, poly, sealers etc.

they used to make an attachment for B-2s to do radiators.

they were aggressive. operating at B2 speed, weight and with a slight lift and working it would make short work of any under sanding needed.

they went under in the downturn.

problem was they extended so much credit and were family oriented.
they always worked with you but it put them under

·
Registered
810 Posts
How long do you think it takes a belt sander?

Too long. That's how long. I have a pretty nice belt sander, I just wouldn't use it to fix plywood seams. I pretty much just use it for making stair treads. I can respect the fact that you feel you can't afford one, but it's foolish to argue that an edger and a belt sander have anything in common when it comes to effectiveness for floor prep. Hell, I can dig a hole in the floor with an edger if I want to. Then again, it depends on how often you have to fix the floor. I do a lot of underlayment that sometimes has gauge issues, so I'm using mine all the time. If it just sat in the truck all the time, it wouldn't make sense to buy one, I guess. Back when there was such a thing as new construction, I carried around my Little American 110 drum sander for doing vinyl. I could slick down a pretty big job in a few minutes and never touch a scraper.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
How long do you think it takes a belt sander?

Too long. That's how long. I have a pretty nice belt sander, I just wouldn't use it to fix plywood seams. I pretty much just use it for making stair treads. I can respect the fact that you feel you can't afford one, but it's foolish to argue that an edger and a belt sander have anything in common when it comes to effectiveness for floor prep. Hell, I can dig a hole in the floor with an edger if I want to. Then again, it depends on how often you have to fix the floor. I do a lot of underlayment that sometimes has gauge issues, so I'm using mine all the time. If it just sat in the truck all the time, it wouldn't make sense to buy one, I guess. Back when there was such a thing as new construction, I carried around my Little American 110 drum sander for doing vinyl. I could slick down a pretty big job in a few minutes and never touch a scraper.
Affording and justifying aren't the same thing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Eh. Maybe. There is also just good old fashioned prejudice. hehe I drive a really old van because I can rationalize it. It would be easy to come up with reasons to buy a new one, but If I don't want to be convinced, I'll be immune to argument. That's pretty universal I suppose.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Chuck,
I buy from Craigslist a lot, I travel a few hundred miles sometimes and have had people ship from the US, some won't ship. I have Nationwide Craigslist app on my iPhone. There are edgers on there but prices are stable, that's why their still for sale. There's a few styles, and years, sizes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Chuck,
I buy from Craigslist a lot, I travel a few hundred miles sometimes and have had people ship from the US, some won't ship. I have Nationwide Craigslist app on my iPhone. There are edgers on there but prices are stable, that's why their still for sale. There's a few styles, and years, sizes.
Yeah, I'm on top of that too. The edgers aren't being given away like so many other flooring and general construction tools. They're still too expensive to buy just for the hell of it. I used to use the Clarke edger daily for residential vinyl floor prep as an apprentice. But we haven't done residential work at my shop in some 25 years or so and even those jobs are almost all on concrete out here in California. The edger is a monster tool for QUICKLY cleaning up little problems on older homes with so many irregularities in the wood subfloor. I've wondered if it would be useful to clean the slab along the wall lines where the other trades smear their horrible mess but I'm not about to lug around the edger AND the regular sander. So if I saw one for $50-100 I'd think about it but everything I've seen online is more in the $500 and up range so it's a no go.

I was just thinking about the residential vinyl guys truck I worked out of as an apprentice. He didn't have the big sander like we use every day on commercial. All he had was the edger. With all the other crap crammed into that full size van there wasn't room for the big sander. So what I can recall was that just like I "buzz" everything with the big sander today I think we made a quick pass with the edger over the whole area to be covered very rapidly eating away anything that would be problematic. I think he even used it over the patch after it dried. I'm talking 1978-1981 and I was smoking a lot of dope in those days so my memories are slightly impaired I suppose.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You aren't going to see an edger for less than 500 dollars. Thing is, a new super 7 is almost two grand now. I call that a deal. A buffer beats an edger for doing a whole floor, though. I suppose I take owning an edger for granted. I've always had one. If I had to justify spending even 500 dollars for one now (and hadn't been used to having one for the last 35 years), I'm sure I'd find a reason to balk at the price. Hell, I had an old American that I actually gave to a friend. Maybe I should have gotten the five hun. hehe

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I have the makita toe kick edger and it is not as aggressive as the super 7 and it costs the same as a used one. Ant serious floor guy should have a super 7. Home depot sells their rental ones every other season. Check them in the spring and the end of summer.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I just saw a few in the Atlanta area, different models, they look like from the 50's. The new ones have variable speed? Saw a lagler trio used also there, not far enough from retail though(4500 used ) plenty of drum sanders.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Who is using a belt sander to "make furniture"?

THAT is the real question here.

My belt sander sits motionless in it's case waiting for an opportunity to be used as an efficient interrogation device......or to level out a few minor nuisance high spots in a sub floor (before my flooring sub shows up with his edger, cuz I'm a nice guy who wants all his subs to focus on their special skills, not fixing chit).

This is all theoretical of course. Marbles stand still on my sub floors.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Who is using a belt sander to "make furniture"?

THAT is the real question here.

My belt sander sits motionless in it's case waiting for an opportunity to be used as an efficient interrogation device......or to level out a few minor nuisance high spots in a sub floor (before my flooring sub shows up with his edger, cuz I'm a nice guy who wants all his subs to focus on their special skills, not fixing chit).

This is all theoretical of course. Marbles stand still on my sub floors.
I think I saw a video with an armless pakistani dude who did everything with a belt sander. Felled the tree, sanded it into planks, sanded them to size. You should have seen the dove tails, tight like prom night. Id tell you how he held it but thaT would ruin the surprise.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A power planer will do in 5 seconds what it takes an edger 10 mins to do without the setup.

Big areas will take a bit with edgers & belt sanders no matter what grit you use.

Planer is the way to go if there isn't any nails or staples. If so then use cloth papers on a sander

·
Contractor
4,743 Posts
I had always used a belt sander, but the belts are easily broken when moving side to side unless careful of nails and splinters. Used a diamond grinder recently and it worked very well-makes a mess though but fast material removal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Edger never leaves the van. See the picture, and tell me if a belt sander will do the job.
For sanding OSB / sub floor preparation , the Edger is the best for me.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
My Edger never leaves the van. See the picture, and tell me if a belt sander will do the job.
For sanding OSB / sub floor preparation , the Edger is the best for me.
Did you read the entire thread? It's about prep for tile. I hope you are not laying tile over planking.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts