Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to nail down bamboo flooring. I have a couple of spots that are over 1/8 high. What's the easiest way to plane down those spots?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Subfloors not my forte , by spots you mean ? Over what distance? And square footage? I would think small area belt, large area drum ? I diamond grind subfloors but I don't do them enough for the most efficient blade.

image-2951953634.jpg

image-1651070350.jpg

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
1/8 grind all day..over that..especially if 3/8 and over..its worth well worth it to remove portion sub-foor/plane joist and reinstall plywood.

when leveling there is no real right or wrong..its thoughtful and systematic approach requiring good heads up technique, brain power,logic and skills.

its not difficult.

the minds that figure through these obstacles and take on known challenges outside their comfort and achieve them as seasoned vets are the same men who figure these things out.

be that man

·
Owner/Installer
66 Posts
Depending on how high I like my Makita power planer and belt sander with 36 grit paper. That planer will take out 1/16" in a single pass.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Apparently, most folks don't have an edger. If I didn't have and edger, I'd use a belt sander, but I can't imagine why a belt sander would be on my truck. I don't make furniture for a living.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Apparently, most folks don't have an edger. If I didn't have and edger, I'd use a belt sander, but I can't imagine why a belt sander would be on my truck. I don't make furniture for a living.
I don't lay hardwood floors, why would I have an edger? A belt sander does the job and is much cheaper.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Depending on how big the floor is and how many high spots you have you might want to look into using gypsum floor leveler and just bring the lower spots up.. unless your high spots are already above the baseboard height.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't lay hardwood floors, why would I have an edger?

Maybe for doing any basic floor prep on plywood. (or especially OSB) As far as a belt sander "doing the job", I could also "do the job" with a palm sander, but I do this to make money, not save money. An edger is an indispensable tool if you do any hard surfaces. That's the ***** about tools. If you don't know what you're missing, you just don't know. I wish I knew more than I do. Tools make me money. I carry a lot of stuff on the bus, and I can count on one hand the tools I regret buying.

But you're right, they are expensive. Thing is, I've had my super 7 for over 20 years and since I'm not really a sand and finish guy day in day out, I've not even had to put brushes on it. It's paid for itself many times over.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
I don't lay hardwood floors, why would I have an edger?

Maybe for doing any basic floor prep on plywood. (or especially OSB) As far as a belt sander "doing the job", I could also "do the job" with a palm sander, but I do this to make money, not save money. An edger is an indispensable tool if you do any hard surfaces. That's the ***** about tools. If you don't know what you're missing, you just don't know. I wish I knew more than I do. Tools make me money. I carry a lot of stuff on the bus, and I can count on one hand the tools I regret buying.

But you're right, they are expensive. Thing is, I've had my super 7 for over 20 years and since I'm not really a sand and finish guy day in day out, I've not even had to put brushes on it. It's paid for itself many times over.
I've used an edger...but for the amount of money a belt sander is sufficient. 40 or 60 grit and you're good.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sufficient was the perfect word. I know Mexican guys who won't spend 40 dollars on a wall trimmer because a knife and a stair tool are "sufficient". I actually had a guy show me his damn corn broom the other day and brag that it was all he used for carpet(wtf?)and vinyl(what the effing eff?)

You win. I lose.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Sufficient was the perfect word. I know Mexican guys who won't spend 40 dollars on a wall trimmer because a knife and a stair tool are "sufficient". I actually had a guy show me his damn corn broom the other day and brag that it was all he used for carpet(wtf?)and vinyl(what the effing eff?)

You win. I lose.
Nah, becuase you are assuming everyone's situation is the same as yours and that you are a winner compared to anyone else.

My point was that belt sanders aren't just for furniture building. I do a lot of tile, but mostly residential under 500 sq ft, with the vast majority under 250 sq ft. I don't need an edger when a belt sander is fast, easier and cheaper for my needs. Belt sander with 40-60 grit and a vac attached takes a few minutes.

And your wall trimmer example is also not comparable. For the money and the amount of trimming you have to do on every carpet job it's a no brainer, but for the one or maybe two high spots that I run into, it's just dumb to spend that kind of money and haul that thing around.

I use my belt sander for a ton of stuff that the edger wouldn't be able to even touch.

Sufficient means enough. It is enough to get the job done. I am not going to save any time, money or mess by using an edger.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts