Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Here is my take on it. They are fecking it up so that firefox is now just as reliable as their lackluster < read POFS browser IE. I am REALLY starting to get pissed :mad: AND I have nearly 30 gigs of freakin Operating System!!!!! Seriously! I partitioned off half the drive to separate all my programs and photoshop & pics from the OS and now the OS is so damn full it freaks out when I try to watch youtube or have a few windows open :censored: :censored: :censored:

Oh and I turned off that draconian update also!!! :mad:

Bob, I'll transale: he owns a boat anchor and will be buying a new kickass puter very soon! LOL :clap:

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
TRS-80 was Tandy Corporation's desktop microcomputer model line, sold through Tandy's Radio Shack stores in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The line won popularity with hobbyists, home users, and small-businesses. Tandy Corporation's leading position in what Byte Magazine called the "1977 Trinity" (Apple, Commodore and Tandy) had much to do with retailing the computer through more than 3000 of its Radio Shack (Tandy in Europe) storefronts.[2] Notable features of the original TRS-80 included its full-stroke QWERTY keyboard, small size, well-written Floating Point BASIC programming language, an included monitor, and a starting price of $600[1]. The pre-release price was $500 and a $50 deposit was required, with a money back guarantee at time of delivery. One major drawback of the original system was the massive RF interference it caused in surrounding electronics. This became a problem when it was determined to violate FCC regulations, leading to the Model I's phase out in favor of the new Model III.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
WTF did people do with those things ? No internet, no games, no nothing
There were games... you just had to spend hours and hours entering the code yourself and pray to God you didn't make a mistake.

One period instead of a comma... and the whole shebang locked up.

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
WTF did people do with those things ? No internet, no games, no nothing

They added more tape to their eyeglasses, straightened up their pen protectors, and tried to inpressed the chicks with their hot new Operating System Protocol! hehe

Uh oh. I can't find my tape!!!:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
There were games... you just had to spend hours and hours entering the code yourself and pray to God you didn't make a mistake.

One period instead of a comma... and the whole shebang locked up.
I remember that!

It actually turned me off to computers. I was in H.S. in 1980, the science lab had something, I don't know, but a dot matrix printer I remember.

Anyway, the games....codes....sheesh. Madness.

I didn't use a computer again, other than a calc, until I got one in '94. DOS 6 with Windows 3.1. Well, actually, I had a word processor with an monochromatic amber screen before that. Brother...can't remember the model.

It's been a love / hate relationship from there. Of course I had to learn how they worked, tore the 486 32 megs of ram with a I can't remember, 200 meg? hard drive, Conner I think.

Scattered it across the living room floor. My wife freaked! I had to buy a book to get it back together and format and reinstall everything. Did FCC # searches for manu's and drivers back then. Internet was....new. (to me) I had a 28k modem then.

I still have to "fix" other people's machines, but it's mostly much easier now than it was back then. Modular components, it's a no brainer most often on builds. Do a little research for compatible components, put it together, and boot to your OS CD or DVD.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Time to clean up your system Neo.

Uninstall programs you don't use. Clean out the temp files, and downloaded internet files. You can also reduce your system restore settings to use less disk space.

Set programs that you rarely use so that they don't start when Windows does. (I think every programmer think their stuff is important, so should load with Windows on start up.)

I highly recommend CCleaner. (Formerly known as Crap Cleaner)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Scan disk and defragment after you're all done with clean up. Let defragment FINISH, even if you have to let it run all night while you sleep. I often start defrag when I head off to bed. It's done in the morning.

If you want specific help, say so.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,592 Posts
Thanks for the reminder James. It's been a while since I've run CC. Just got rid of 3.6GB of crap off my drive in less than 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I Use Windows Cleanup(free) Reg Cure($30) cleans your registry files up Glary Utilities and Spy Sweeper($30) get's rid of SpY ware and un wanted cookies.

Defrag and disc cleanup as others suggested.

I run AVG free and Zone Alarm free. Was told by puter geeks they are as good or better than "bloat ware" like Norton and Macafee. I had both and let the licenses run out and un installed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I use Microsofts virus and clean up software. Works pretty good, and it was only $49.95.

Whats up with Windows 7, this thread is the first I've heard of a replacement for Vista. That kinda sucks, I love Vista. Much easier to use than that XP crap my last computer had. So I have until October 22 to buy a new computer if I want to keep running Vista? Is that the deal?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I Use Windows Cleanup(free) Reg Cure($30) cleans your registry files up Glary Utilities and Spy Sweeper($30) get's rid of SpY ware and un wanted cookies.

Defrag and disc cleanup as others suggested.

I run AVG free and Zone Alarm free. Was told by puter geeks they are as good or better than "bloat ware" like Norton and Macafee. I had both and let the licenses run out and un installed.

CCleaner is free. It has a registry cleaner built in and it works well. I use AVG free too. I found the best Malware / Trojan removal tool is SuperAntiSyware Free. I had a nasty viral - adware problem on my kids machine and that's the only one that found it.

All of these programs are good, and 100% free to use. I do donate to the writers though, when they ask for it.

And yes Norton is a SON OF A B***H. Very intrusive and troublesome. I used to use McAfee when they were free, but that was a loooong time ago!

Reactions: jtpro

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,592 Posts
If you want to clean up your system from Malware just download Malwarebytes and let it at your system. It is updated constantly, sometime more than once a day. Great program. It will really show you what can slip through the firewall you have set up. You might be surprized.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use Microsofts virus and clean up software. Works pretty good, and it was only $49.95.

Whats up with Windows 7, this thread is the first I've heard of a replacement for Vista. That kinda sucks, I love Vista. Much easier to use than that XP crap my last computer had. So I have until October 22 to buy a new computer if I want to keep running Vista? Is that the deal?
Windows 7 is like Vista, just better, cleaner, faster. It's an optimized Vista, just like XP was an optimized Windows 2000 / NT. You're one of the first people I've heard say they "like" Vista. Most tolerate it! So, no worries, 7 will be intuitive to you from Vista.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What I like about Vista is it asks me before it does something. Like closing a program for example. It always asks me if I'm sure I want to close it. Sometimes I click something I didn't mean to. Vista gives me an easy way out and watches my back. It's awesome. I love it. The best operating system Microsoft ever made is Vista. If you're really good with computers I can see how you might prefer an operating system that doesn't hold your hand as much.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts