Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best labor team in your opinion and why?

2 top paid highly experienced guys or 1 top paid highly experience guy and 1 lower paid helper who has sense but lower skill levels?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't have any real world examples to cite, but I would assume that 2 top-paid guys, would be extremely competitive and want to best one another to prove their worth. When one is, immediately, subordinate to another he's not going to assume that he will overtake the other in position or compensation and will probably just accept his role as number 2.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Highly paid mechanic and lower paid helper

From 30+ years of experience if you put two mechanics on the same job one of two things will happen.

One of them will go into helper mode and lose all brain function. Now you have an over paid helper

they will argue over how everything is done and production will fall off.

Just my opinion

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
2 High paid guys...BUT I think it also depends a little on the task at hand.If it is something that requires someone to lead and someone to help then it may be better the other way for the sake of less $$.Because you could be paying someone top dollar to just stand around and hold things..But if is something where two guys could work indipendently then the two higher paid guys would be the best choice for sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it has to be a two-man team, Naptown has got it. But for production framing, in my experience two top guys, with a helper, is the way to go.

The framers will compete like crazy, and neither gets to do the grunt work - stacking joists, blocks, etc. And the helper/apprentice either wants to be like them, or he goes away scared; either is good.

Like I said, this is for framing. Crown molding, door hanging, maybe a top man and a helper to keep the material moving.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would say the two man, experienced team, for most tasks.

Fewer discussions on how, why, and what happens next. Each person anticipating each others next move, looking out for each other, and compelling each other to give their best.

·
General Contractor
42 Posts
I agree with Bradgunn and Naptown...

Production work goes faster the more experienced the crew - preferrably 2 top notch + 1 trainee cutting and feeding materials...

Unusual and custom jobs require the most experienced people you can muster, you just have to be careful not to put too many of them on the same job site with the expectation to: "come up with the best solution"... This often leads to high dollar guys arguing why their idea is better.

bonz

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Depends on the job. For framing I like 2 good guys for layout and direction of assembly, and 2 general guys for nailing and bringing the wood.

For reno jobs, I prefer 2 good guys and one helper. But I have a large job coming up in the spring where there will be 2 experienced guys, 3 general guys, and one labourer. Should be entertaining :laughing:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I vote option 2 . Someone has to be the lead guy and I don't see the other guy liking the gopher roll . Two guys and a helper works pretty good if the leads get along and are team players . If you are talking bathroom remodels it can get a little congested with three guys so I would go with one lead and one helper with the option of the third guy if needed .

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's make the criteria, it's a job for only 2 guys, 3 or more not an option. This is just a 2 guy scenario.

From 30+ years of experience if you put two mechanics on the same job one of two things will happen.

One of them will go into helper mode and lose all brain function. Now you have an over paid helper
By the way I have seen that happen over and over again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it has to be a two man team, Naptown has got it.

But Mike, you're setting the criteria; what kind of jobs are we doing here?
Big framing job, little deck and stairs? Bathroom? Doorhanging?

By the way, if you have any work, I can have two guys there tomorrow. Maybe lunchtime today.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
I will take the two top guys in most circumstances. When you put in the lesser experienced guy, production will only go as fast as he can process the job. If he gets overwhelmed, the top guy will have to slow down. Ideally to me, I prefer guys who have worked together frequently. They can often anticipate whet the other needs quickly. I have experimented with different combinations of my guys for years. Generally, an even number of workers is more productive. Most times they pair off. If we have a 5 man crew, I seem to either get lazier, or overwhelmed trying to work alone.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
If the two experienced guys are in each other's fan club then the fully seasoned crew will be a pleasure to be a part of. Depending on the task it may not be the most lucrative though.

Build a fence, guy and helper.

Custom trim job, 2 top dollar boys

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I will take the two top guys in most circumstances. When you put in the lesser experienced guy, production will only go as fast as he can process the job. If he gets overwhelmed, the top guy will have to slow down. Ideally to me, I prefer guys who have worked together frequently. They can often anticipate whet the other needs quickly. I have experimented with different combinations of my guys for years. Generally, an even number of workers is more productive. Most times they pair off. If we have a 5 man crew, I seem to either get lazier, or overwhelmed trying to work alone.

Agree 100% worked for 5 years next to an = caliber guy and it was great to have someone that was totally on page and of the same skill lvl. But in the same sense it depends on the job, alot of times we worked on stuff that you needed a hand from time to time but could solo alot of it. Ended up we could work side by side towards the same goal and it worked out good. The even numbers thing is also a big one imo, anytime we cant pair off someone either gets swamped or finds alot of ass time.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Usually on punch out work, I prefer that everyone work solo, unless they are up high. Low guy can work on hardware/cleanup, middle guys can do furring, truss bracing, wall changes, top guys can build soffits,set doors,build stairs,etc.Often when we are busy, we will leave just two guys to do punch out if we have another job to start.Usually then, it is a top guy and a laborer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I am on the job it doesnt really matter. If I am NOT there Id rather have a helper helping a lead guy. My 2 main guys have a history of not getting along when I'm not around. Neither one will listen to the other... When I am there they work great together :innocent:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts