Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! We Are Still Alive After "charlie" Nothing Major Happened Around Where I Live, Other Than A Few Trees Down........

I Was Wondering If Somebody From Orlando Could Answer Me A Few Question That I Have

1) What's The Average Charge Per Sqft In Orlando And Does This Price Includes Labor And Materials

If So, Do You Charge Extra When Primer Have To Be Apply Or Charge A Different Sqft Rates

Does Sqft Rates Are Differents Depending The Ceiling High

And How Do You Charge For Moldings And Trims, Etc.

Thanks A Million (in Advance) For Your Answers.

The Ny Painter

U

·
0 Posts
Swish,
Is that per coat? Lets see if I have this right..now this is ballpark, but if you take the sq.ft. of floor area you can easily triple it if its all wb..so a 2000 sq.ft floor plan is about 6000 sq.ft. surface....so your getting $12,000. for an interior paint job? and ten add $1.50 lf. for base, trim etc.?? how about doors, jambs, windows, crown,base etc.?....SWEET!! wish I could get about $15,000. for an interior repaint..way to go!
SwishPainting said:
Hey Nathan,
You think 2.00sqft surface area is high?What would you consider the going rate in new york,new jersey? And do you have two sqft prices,one for surface sqft and another for floor space?

U

·
0 Posts
Unregistered said:
Swish,
Is that per coat? Lets see if I have this right..now this is ballpark, but if you take the sq.ft. of floor area you can easily triple it if its all wb..so a 2000 sq.ft floor plan is about 6000 sq.ft. surface....so your getting $12,000. for an interior paint job? and ten add $1.50 lf. for base, trim etc.?? how about doors, jambs, windows, crown,base etc.?....SWEET!! wish I could get about $15,000. for an interior repaint..way to go!
Its pretty simple....i dont paint floors so i always use surface sqft.and for that i charge around 1,75 a square foot

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
It's a bad time to try and price anything in Orlando. The damage just west of there (as well as there) is going to drive all the rates crazy.

Bob

U

·
0 Posts
SQ Ft?

Glasshousebltr said:
It's a bad time to try and price anything in Orlando. The damage just west of there (as well as there) is going to drive all the rates crazy.

Bob
Everyones discussing rate without figuring their own expenses to do business, you cannot take xyz rate and apply it from one biz to the next. If my biz uses 2.478 as a rate and you applied it, what would it tell you? absolutly nothing. Ask yourself, what does a gallon cost my business? What does that gallon cost me per square? Per Lineal foot? How much did labor cost per SQ Ft? What was my profit margin before/ after taxes . Start there, and your on the right track to finding out your business expences. Next look at your costs for vehicles, signage, advertising, phone, accounting, equipment , software, upgrades, estimates (estimates do cost you like it or not) cost per lead etc....Everyone should develop a formula for THEIR business, remember, you cant make up losses by doing volume work.
BTW...Nice talking to you the other day Nathan...
Richard G.

U

·
0 Posts
Unregistered...is that per coat?...more power to all you guys getting that kind of $$...it IS pretty simple..in a 2000 sq.ft floor plan...in a house thats all gwb you're grossing about $10,500.??...a 20x20 basement rec. room..$1820. How many man hrs would you figure for the hypothetical 20x20 including ceiling? no base, caseing,jambs etc.?...that can't be per coat is it?..seems a smidge high at least around here....I mean if I'm understanding your numbers applied simply...$1.75 sq.ft. surface and your picking your nose and rolling 100 sq.ft. an hr...your hourly is $175.?? for a 100 sq.ft. and hr. painter??.....what am I missing here.
Unregistered said:
Its pretty simple....i dont paint floors so i always use surface sqft.and for that i charge around 1,75 a square foot

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well im kinda new to this and i probably dont understand the many nuonces of bidding,so i found out what painting contractors charge for a 225 square foot room (no prep,no jams base,nothing but paint on the wall.The prices ranged from 600.00 to 800.00,so i then figured out what the square foot price was based on there prices.In ny and nj the prices i got turned out to be 1.25 to 2.00 a square foot.

U

·
0 Posts
SwishPainting said:
Well im kinda new to this and i probably dont understand the many nuonces of bidding,so i found out what painting contractors charge for a 225 square foot room (no prep,no jams base,nothing but paint on the wall.The prices ranged from 600.00 to 800.00,so i then figured out what the square foot price was based on there prices.In ny and nj the prices i got turned out to be 1.25 to 2.00 a square foot.
Swish A 220 sq.ft. room has about 730 sq.ft of surface if the ceiling is included. There is always SOME prep..and if you asked me how much I make for a particular sized room...I'd probably tell you more than I actually can get.....thats just human nature...you should see the size of the fish that get away from me!

U

·
0 Posts
Swish...not to pick at it..but DO you get $10,000 - $15,000. for the interior repaint on a 2000 sq.ft. floor plan??...is that per coat?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pick away,like i said im kinda new to this and i can use all the info i can get.The 1.75 a sqft is not per coat,but any coats past 2 is an addational sqft charge.To answer your question if the surface area adds up to 2000sqft and my sqft price is 1.75 then 2000x1.75=$3500.00 trim and moldings 1.50 a foot.

P.S
You should register,its a good forum.

U

·
0 Posts
SwishPainting said:
Pick away,like i said im kinda new to this and i can use all the info i can get.The 1.75 a sqft is not per coat,but any coats past 2 is an addational sqft charge.To answer your question if the surface area adds up to 2000sqft and my sqft price is 1.75 then 2000x1.75=$3500.00 trim and moldings 1.50 a foot.

P.S
You should register,its a good forum.
Swish,You're right this is a pretty cool site and I'm going to register. Maybe its a regional thing but I'm up in N. Wis. and the $1.75 - $2.00 a sq. ft just wouldn't fly for common wall/ceiling repaint..I mean take a 12x16 ft room...56 lf..8 ft tall = 448 sq.ft add the ceiling 192 sq.ft and you have 640 sq.ft x $1.75 = $1120. not bad pay..I mean the room is only 12 x 16...spread 2 1/2 gal. of paint and your out by noon. If you do a room like that in 4 hrs..your mn/hr. rate comes to about $280./hr. Getting someone around here to cough up $1120 for one small room just ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unregistered said:
Swish,You're right this is a pretty cool site and I'm going to register. Maybe its a regional thing but I'm up in N. Wis. and the $1.75 - $2.00 a sq. ft just wouldn't fly for common wall/ceiling repaint..I mean take a 12x16 ft room...56 lf..8 ft tall = 448 sq.ft add the ceiling 192 sq.ft and you have 640 sq.ft x $1.75 = $1120. not bad pay..I mean the room is only 12 x 16...spread 2 1/2 gal. of paint and your out by noon. If you do a room like that in 4 hrs..your mn/hr. rate comes to about $280./hr. Getting someone around here to cough up $1120 for one small room just ain't gonna happen.
This is how i would pretty much come to a price for your 12x16 foot room.
1-With ceiling....(with x length of room)12x16=192sqft x $1.75=$336.00
2-Witout ceiling.....(with x length of wall surface) and whatever the sqft of the surface area is ?x1.75
If you have a better system let me know.I can use the help.

U

·
0 Posts
SwishPainting said:
2-Witout ceiling.....(with x length of wall surface) and whatever the sqft of the surface area is ?x1.75
Hi Swish,
That makes more sense to me now. You're going by floor sq.ft. and not surface so you're about $.50 sq.ft. If it all and all takes you over 4 hrs. you should clock a full day because basically the rest of the 8 hr. day is shot by the time up re gear for another project( which you should go to anyway and start clocking time there) so I think you're right in there at $336....could even click it up a bit.
On a single room you can kinda maybe get away with the floor sq. ft. measurement but don't try it as a general rule for estimating..the sq. feet can really add up depending on how the house is cut up inside. I think to eliminate any bad surprises you should always measure the actual surfaces to be painted...no matter how long it takes. Don't feel like you have to be able just scan a room while the client is there and know the sq.ft. or have them think you're inexperienced. Most people will appreciate you're wanting to know the scope of the project..that way they will feel your estimate is well thought out and accurate...although on a more simple project you can just estimate mn/hrs. and usually be pretty close.
Thanks for the clarification on what you meant by price per sq.ft.
Dale

U

·
0 Posts
Mr. Swish,
The question you should ask yourself is: What is the actual cost to do that room?
What is your costs per sf? Paint? Labor?
What is your rate per man hour? W/ Labor/ taxes /insurances etc..included.
What is your mark up?
A blind SF price is not telling you anything. KNOW YOUR COSTS, Then break it down to a SF, but by the time you do that, why bid by the Square anymore?

If you charge 55.00 per man hour and 4 hrs for the room: 220.00 1 man
Lets just say material was .20cents per square 192 sf = 38.40
Markup of 30% ? or more? 258.40x30%=335.92
No one knows your cost of doing business but you, thats why SF pricing has put busninesses out of work, because they are competing on that same level with other SF pricers whos expences are lower than yours. You cant make up losses doing volume work...These numbers will vary from business to business, because everyones cost of doing business is different.
Richard G.

SwishPainting said:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im a little confused as to where you get the 50cents a sqft? I think you mean if the floor sqft is 1.75 then the surface sqft is 50cents? if im right how do you come up with that number? Also your right about feeling like you have to be able to just scan a room while the client is there and know the sq.ft. or have them think you're inexperienced.Im never comfortable doing that in front of the customer,but i always thought it was better then charging by the hour.With sqft i dont have someone hovering over my shoulder,what i try to do is get the sqft price to equal the price i would charge by the hour,this way the price is the same and i dont have the customer looking at there watch.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts