Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all the adds on craigslist and the newspaper want skilled tradesmen with tools and truck only wanting to pay 10-15 an hr.. What's up with this and I know it depends on what part of the country you live in but here the wages are back to what they where in the late 80s. I feel my 25 years has accumulated me at least a masters degree if not a PHD. I have worked all over the country and we tradesmen are way under payed and over worked
:furious:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
I see all the adds on craigslist and the newspaper want skilled tradesmen with tools and truck only wanting to pay 10-15 an hr.. What's up with this and I know it depends on what part of the country you live in but here the wages are back to what they where in the late 80s. I feel my 25 years has accumulated me at least a masters degree if not a PHD. I have worked all over the country and we tradesmen are way under payed and over worked
But now you're going to get health insurance.:laughing:

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
They don't want a skilled tradesman with years of experience. They want either an illegal or someone who can get by with a half-ass job. Someone they can pay dirt wages equal to back in the 1980's. Keep looking elsewhere. There are people who want a worker who will stick around and do a great job. They have to pay a real wage to get one and keep one. If they don't, they get stuck with Juan.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Dude. You're lookin' fer work in the WROING place!

craiglist?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I got a raise last year and will get another one this year. If you are not you are doing it wrong. I just bring my hand tools to the job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Union carpenters here have taken a 15% pay cut. A lot of other trades have done similarly.

There is too much labor and not enough jobs. Around here, the number of construction jobs have dropped to 1998 levels.

I see the Cincinnati area hasn't had unemployment levels this bad (9.5%) in over 20 years. It's no wonder people are willing to work for much less than they used to.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got a raise last year and will get another one this year. If you are not you are doing it wrong. I just bring my hand tools to the job.
That's a pretty arrogant thing to say when Washington has lost over 40,000 construction jobs and will probably lose another 10,000 this year.

SW Washington carpenters just took a huge (15%) pay cut, yet they did nothing wrong.

Just be quiet and thank your boss that you still have a job.:furious::furious::furious:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just moved back to this area after 5 yrs in San Fran . couldnt stand the liberal left coast. its bad here but I have found a niche..
I dropped the union in SF because I stayed busy and made more doing residential.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just moved back to this area after 5 yrs in San Fran . couldnt stand the liberal left coast. its bad here but I have found a niche..
I dropped the union in SF because I stayed busy and made more doing residential.
Good timing leaving the PRC. As bad as construction biz in Ohio is these days, California seems even worse.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
That's a pretty arrogant thing to say when Washington has lost over 40,000 construction jobs and will probably lose another 10,000 this year.

SW Washington carpenters just took a huge (15%) pay cut, yet they did nothing wrong.

Just be quiet and thank your boss that you still have a job.:furious::furious::furious:
Your right it is but I don't plan on taking a cut. If they think I will work for less they are wrong. I will give them my wage proposal if they don't like it I will give them barely 80% productivity. If they don't like that they can lay me off. UI pays 600 a week.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Who should you blame?

New construction collapses and lays off how many?

Subs who serviced new construction lay off how many? How many close thier doors?

Commercial slowed and how many were laid off?

Guys who got laid off from new construction and commercial go into residential remodeling to make a few bucks to pay the bills. How do you think they bid jobs? High or low?

Residential companies face a flood of low ballers now on every job they bid.

Prices drop all over the country due to the low ballers.

You think companies are going to hire somebody now at $30 an hour, have a labor burden of $42 an hour and only be able to bill them out at $35 an hour?

If you have 25 years in the trades, I can't believe this is your first time through this?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Your right it is but I don't plan on taking a cut. If they think I will work for less they are wrong. I will give them my wage proposal if they don't like it I will give them barely 80% productivity. If they don't like that they can lay me off. UI pays 600 a week.
Unemloyment pays a lot less in IL.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I'll further add this is the illegal aliens problem coming home to roost. Construction wages have been kept artificially low for the last 20 years, not keeping pace with materials and the cost of new homes. Illegals have been some of the root cause of that. Wages being lower then they should have been while things were good only makes it even worse now that times are bad. There was less for them to fall and there are still the illegals keeping the bottom lower then it should be. All this is a downward pull on that low wage figure making it even lower then it would be if the illegals weren't here and had never effected wages in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
The established guys I know are bending over backwards to keep their regular employees working. There is a fire sale going on with wages. Guys are hungry and willing to work for less to get any work, can't say I blame them. The illegals are a part of the equation. A bigger part seems to beyounger guys don't want to take the time or are unwilling to learn a trade from the bottom up. A kid shows up knowing which end of the hammer to hang on to says he's a carpenter and wants $25/hr. Couldn't cut a set of stairs or cut a roof to save his ass much less lay out a simple wall or form a sidewalk accurately. Even finding guys to do grunt work has been challenging

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Its all about supply and demand. When the supply is greater than the demand, wages will fall. When the tide turns, wages will rise. Economics 101.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Lot of truth to that. I never realized there were so many middle managers "supervisors" and "foreman" until this last year. They were the group hardest hit in layoffs. Those guys and framers.

Unfortunately this last year I've had one position that has just been a revolving door and I have rehired it a few times this year. I watched the applicants for a carpenter position as they changed during the year from late 2008 through 2009. The first wave were all site supervisors and foremen, later it was all framers, then it was "contractors" guys who had been on their own for a little while and now had no work, late last year I saw tile setters and then at the end I saw journeymen electricians. The only group I haven't seen yet is anything to do with plumbers. (might be something to think about if anybody is looking to switch careers) ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
I have heard that around here, many of the engineers now looking for work have taken jobs doing drafting at half of their previous wages.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Good timing leaving the PRC. As bad as construction biz in Ohio is these days, California seems even worse.
I have 2 jobs in the city of San Fransisco right now. Every time I go down there I am amazed at how many jobs are active. It seems that every block I'm in has one or two jobs going.

Leave San Fransisco because you think its too liberal, I can understand that. But go to the midwest and surf Creigs list for jobs as a result, not too sure about that. But we all have to do what feels right and live with the consequences.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts