Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it better to use a lead generating site or vinyl up all the trucks and hang posters?

·
GC/carpenter
43,852 Posts
vos said:
is it better to use a lead generating site or vinyl up all the trucks and hang posters?
I would spend that money on a good website with good SEO 100% of my work started with my website. I believe it's the best money spent on getting business today. Then once you get a good website going you can send all prospects there in any other type of advertising you may do. But I do believe it's the first step.IMO

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we have a good website but we are un sure of the best avenue to advertise. we are looking in to yelp and home adviser. i personally think we need to letter up the trucks and trailer.

·
GC/carpenter
43,852 Posts
vos said:
we have a good website but we are un sure of the best avenue to advertise. we are looking in to yelp and home adviser. i personally think we need to letter up the trucks and trailer.
I've gotten a ton of work off my vehicle. I've gotten more then one job just being parked down at the city building department. People are there inquiring about a deck and my truck is sitting in the parking lot with a QR code on the tailgate. I have seen people taking pictures of it quite often.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

·
Do it right!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the info

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think anyone can tell you what's "best". You should do them all and see what works for your demographic. The key is to track the results. Ask every single person you talk to how they heard about you and focus your energies on what's working for YOU.

·
Registered
819 Posts
lettering up your truck wont get you 1 job

i have a 16' cube van...my company name is H U G E...i even put an advertisement on the back door for 2 specific types of jobs i do......never a call

it works in the fact that they may see you around and when your website comes up it clicks in their heads.....

lettering your van is just what professionals do.....if your business is based upon being the lowest priced guy out there then who cares what your van says....if your trying to get the high end client then a new/lettered van can be important....it makes a customer feel safe with you

a good website is the best thing anyone can do....my old website got me $7k in business in 2013....my new website has gotten me $20k in 3 months of 2014....i will most likely 10x my sales from my website this year.....i never knew i was losing so many calls to people not liking my old website.

·
GC/carpenter
43,852 Posts
huggytree said:
lettering up your truck wont get you 1 job
I think you would be better off telling him this is your experience and not necessarily going to be his. I've made tens of thousands of dollars off my letters that's a great ROI considering it only cost me 300 bucks installed. Just my truck parked in my driveway has got me a ton of work, let alone when it's parked at the city.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
I have two 14' cube vans lettered top to bottom. I always have people tell me they see my trucks all over the place thinking I have some sort of huge fleet..Have matching magnetic signs on my pickup. Seems to work for me but every trade is different

·
Registered
819 Posts

here's my cube van....also have printing even on the front.....yes i get customers telling me they see my vans all over the place.....never had a customer say - i saw your van and i decided to call you-......it helps with branding..thats it...they see your van tons of times, then see you in a search on the internet....they pick you because they saw your van a couple of times......

i tried advertising for water heaters and tub replacements on the back door....hoping someone would be behind me who has a leaky water heater...thought id get 2-3 calls a year....2 years so far...not 1 call from it...next time i will just throw my name on it

·
GC/carpenter
43,852 Posts
huggytree said:
http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/waukeshaplumbing/media/100_0432.jpg.html here's my cube van....also have printing even on the front.....yes i get customers telling me they see my vans all over the place.....never had a customer say - i saw your van and i decided to call you-......it helps with branding..thats it...they see your van tons of times, then see you in a search on the internet....they pick you because they saw your van a couple of times...... i tried advertising for water heaters and tub replacements on the back door....hoping someone would be behind me who has a leaky water heater...thought id get 2-3 calls a year....2 years so far...not 1 call from it...next time i will just throw my name on it
I had a neighbor who drives by my house everyday, saw my truck and decided to tell me about his plans he had for a family room, bedroom and bath addition on the home. I got that job and made great money on the project. I have two trucks driving around all the time in my community. I had a building inspector pull up to inspect my job and the first thing he said was I see your trucks all the time. He signed off no problems. So name recognition in your community is a huge deal.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts

here's my cube van....also have printing even on the front.....yes i get customers telling me they see my vans all over the place.....never had a customer say - i saw your van and i decided to call you-......it helps with branding..thats it...they see your van tons of times, then see you in a search on the internet....they pick you because they saw your van a couple of times......

i tried advertising for water heaters and tub replacements on the back door....hoping someone would be behind me who has a leaky water heater...thought id get 2-3 calls a year....2 years so far...not 1 call from it...next time i will just throw my name on it
Looks real nice and professional huggy..Im a big fan of the driving billboards. Its not just the homeowners have met a few great contractors just by being parked in a dunkin donuts cause of the trucks.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I get calls all the time being in traffic and they see my sign. Had "Roofing" in my back window and a guy asked me if I did siding. $28,000 job later that $200 window lettering has paid off many many times over.

Although magnets seem to work well for NY, they scream fly by night.

Called a guy a couple weeks ago as I saw his magnet blow off his door on the highway.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

How hard is the yellow on white to see in the bright sunlight?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
I get calls all the time being in traffic and they see my sign. Had "Roofing" in my back window and a guy asked me if I did siding. $28,000 job later that $200 window lettering has paid off many many times over.

Although magnets seem to work well for NY, they scream fly by night.

Called a guy a couple weeks ago as I saw his magnet blow off his door on the highway.
I agree with the fly by night if the magnets are on your wifes car of if youre driving around in a old beat up truck and you offer everything from landscaping to junk removal..Guess depends on how professional they look

·
GC/carpenter
43,852 Posts
However! Lettered trucks can be a double edge sword, I once got a phone call telling me one of my employees drives like chit and just cut them off on the freeway. I said we take these things very serious and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Well it was me she was talking about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts