Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A longtime client called me today and said tile guys scratched their hardwood floors (that I installed in 2010 - not a gap anywhere :thumbup:). They had their kitchen re-tiled and the damn idiots rolled the fridge out in the hallway, gouging the floor pretty bad. The tile is 16 x 24 rectified stone, with 1/8" - 1/4" grout lines. Lippage of 1/8" - 1/4" all through. My question is - What is considered acceptable? I'm thinking 1/16"?

I checked the leftover tiles and they are all dead-on in size and flatness (from the bottom). Their labor was approx $15-$18/sf by my rough calculations (on a 400 sf job). Seems to me they could have done a better job, but that's JMO.

The HO's weren't there when I went to look (I have a key, so I can go anytime I need), so I haven't said anything to them about it. They held out $1000 to fix the floor and, according to HO, the tile guys whined and promised they had a guy who can fix it for a couple of hundred (yeah, right :no: - it's gonna cost the 1k). I wish I would have had time to do the tile for them. They are really good people.

So...Opinions?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A longtime client called me today and said tile guys scratched their hardwood floors (that I installed in 2010 - not a gap anywhere :thumbup:). They had their kitchen re-tiled and the damn idiots rolled the fridge out in the hallway, gouging the floor pretty bad. The tile is 16 x 24 rectified stone, with 1/8" - 1/4" grout lines. Lippage of 1/8" - 1/4" all through. My question is - What is considered acceptable? I'm thinking 1/16"?

I checked the leftover tiles and they are all dead-on in size and flatness (from the bottom). Their labor was approx $15-$18/sf by my rough calculations (on a 400 sf job). Seems to me they could have done a better job, but that's JMO.

The HO's weren't there when I went to look (I have a key, so I can go anytime I need), so I haven't said anything to them about it. They held out $1000 to fix the floor and, according to HO, the tile guys whined and promised they had a guy who can fix it for a couple of hundred (yeah, right :no: - it's gonna cost the 1k). I wish I would have had time to do the tile for them. They are really good people.

So...Opinions?
Thickness of a dime.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Call me unrealistic but I say there is no acceptable lippage...

There are way too many products on the market to prevent uneven tiles. Especially when the tiles are all equal. 1/4 is hack work

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
The most that is acceptable is whatever the variance is between tiles. OP said the tiles were uniformly flat and even thickness, so I can't see why there needs to be any lippage here. Might get away with a dimes worth, but that doesn't mean it's really acceptable. We had to replace a tile in a bath recently that was about a dime thickness higher than the next one.

If the tiles are really irregular, you compensate the best you can, maybe put down thicker grout, but they won't be perfect. I just make sure and show the owner before it's all laid and make sure he's ok with some amount of unevenness.

·
Owner of Incredible Home
5 Posts
I agree with Molnar. And 1/4" is waaaay too much. I just got done doing a kitchen with
16"X16" natural cut slate tiles over electric radiant heat. It could've been a lippage nightmare, took my time, used some tile levelers, came out great...and I def. didn't get $18 a square foot!!

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
There is no tile job with zero lippage. But our goal should be zero lippage. My view is that it shouldn't be visible to the naked eye grouted and no more than a 4" drywall knife thick. Not 4" but the thickness of the steel.

It would also depend on the job. I'm not going to make sure floor is perfect our the tiles are also if it's a low income rental. It will be darn nice, but not a premium finish.

·
Super Moderator
28,875 Posts
numbers up, down or on edge?
Numbers up. Ill admit I dont always check that close, but generally I do on spots my boot finds wanting or when im personally setting it, which is rare these days. ;):whistling

I usually just do it to mess with my hands or sub, depending who is doing it.

·
Super Moderator
28,875 Posts
Honestly depends on the tile. What I find is unacceptable is unacceptable. I dont have a formula.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I should have been more clear on the labor charge and system they used. They pulled up old tile (12x12), 1/4" Durock, and 5/8" particle. Put down 3/4" CDX, 1/2 Durock, and tile (Subway/Running Bond/WhatEverYaWannaCallIt). House has 1/2" subfloor BTW. Why the F didn't they use a better system is what has me PO'd. $13K+ for this. They had the opportunity to create a beautiful floor and screwed it up :censored:. I don't know what to tell these people. I feel really bad they got screwed. I want to ask them for the tile guys insurance/license info, but I have this weird feeling they can't provide it :no:. It's late, I'm tired. I'll sleep on it and figure it out.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm not going to claim our installations will 100% pass the credit card or quarter test but 1/4 " of lip page is FRIGGIN EFFING Nuts..... crazy!!
LoL yeah that's a tripping hazard, you have to try to get that much lippage.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Inner10 - Thanks for that link. That's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't click on it last night because a) I was tired and b) I thought it was for a 'tile bender' (kinda like a 'wood stretcher') :laughing:.

Anywho - I talked to the tile guy trying to get his insurance info, so I can fix this floor and get them the rest of their money. Well, whaddya know? They don't have any :eek:. Big surprise. Guy starts screaming at me, telling me I don't know what the F I'm talking about. 'That tile is as close to perfect as you can get and that scratch in the floor is no big deal. I can fix it in 10 minutes.' I very calmly explained to him that his insurance company can send out a rep to have a look at it and I will abide by their decision. Silence. Oops, must have had a bad connection. I called right back and it went to voicemail (another big surprise). Left a message and waiting on a call back :whistling

I have a feeling this is going to get ugly. This is one instance I really don't mind being caught in the middle. These people have been very good to me over the last 22 years. They're not 'rich', but by no means poor. When I do bigger projects for them, they like to plan on being gone for the duration so they don't have to deal with the mess/noise. They always leave me a BLANK CHECK for final payment (which I rarely use). 'Well, in case you run into something unexpected. Just fix it.'. Gotta love clients like that :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts