Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a 3 man crew. One is a 5-6 year experienced roofer , the other two have been working on roofs for a couple years. We just finished day 2 of a 22 sq job - just tear off completed. It really seems that their production has dropped way down this summer. I don't know if it's the heat or just no teamwork or what.

I'm talking about 5/12 pitch roof. Just wondering what some of you guys are getting done.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Should have been done today, but they have limited experience. It is very tough to teach someone to really "work". Went through plenty of guys who thought they were pretty tough. Come to find out they aren't much of anything outside of a desk job.

Lucky for me, my father was a farmer and a construction worker who worked solo most of his life. You learn how to hustle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
3 guys, 22 square tear off in 2 days?

I'd say it's a little slow.

I'd consider hiring new guys for tear offs, guys with 5-6 years experience should just be paid to shingle.

I just had 3 guys tear off a 28 square roof, they had it off by 1pm the first day, put down the drip, ice & water, felt, cut the ridge and had shingles delivered, everyone was done by 5pm.

I have a hard, hard time finding good workers, really hard. I've just come to accept, I'm going to be going through a lot of employees. I try to keep a good shingler happy, but you can train a monkey to tear off.

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
I seriously do not understand how you guys say you get 22 square ripped off inside a day.

I just did some the slickest, fastest demo I've ever seen. Crew of 4 (2 on shovels, 2 hauling junk to the dumpster). We demo'd 30 square in about 2 days. And that's a roof that's stapled down.

Are you guys not factoring in clean up, or leaving out the time you spend pullling/setting nails?

·
Banned
917 Posts
I seriously do not understand how you guys say you get 22 square ripped off inside a day.

I just did some the slickest, fastest demo I've ever seen. Crew of 4 (2 on shovels, 2 hauling junk to the dumpster). We demo'd 30 square in about 2 days. And that's a roof that's stapled down.

Are you guys not factoring in clean up, or leaving out the time you spend pullling/setting nails?
You probably havent worked on a crew that required that you pack up two bundles at a time either.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
A good rule of thumb is 1 square per hour per man off and on, one layer, walkable. 22 square should take one guy 22 hours. There are a ton of factors, with weather being the biggest one.

Worked along side many crews, and man for man, haven't seen much to impress me. There have been a few though. The bigger the crew, the slower they are man for man.

I usually try to work hard and get done in 6 hour days. 12 hour days are for framers and siders.

Most guys do good for a few years, then they become lazy and have others do their work. That's when quality suffers. Most of it is due to not being able to pay enough.

It takes a few years to get enough experience and confidence to do work efficiently. Sure, any guy can learn how to line up shingles and nail them down, but they may not be experienced roofers. I've been doing this stuff for 14 years now, and still have questions on some things. I'm sure guys that have been around even longer can say the same.....if they are honest.

I also don't agree with "any monkey can tear off shingles". Obviously you haven't been around the trades long enough. ;)

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
If you can do 2 bundles safely, more power to you and your insane 160lbs hucking buddies.

My ladder isn't rated for that much weight. Neither is my back. I'm 23 years old, and I've been doing this for 10 years. There is no safe way for me to throw 160 pounds on my shoulder and go up a ladder. Anyone who "requires" someone to put themselves at risk like that can enjoy the site of my truck backing off their jobsite.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you can do 2 bundles safely, more power to you and your insane 160lbs hucking buddies.

My ladder isn't rated for that much weight. Neither is my back. I'm 23 years old, and I've been doing this for 10 years. There is no safe way for me to throw 160 pounds on my shoulder and go up a ladder. Anyone who "requires" someone to put themselves at risk like that can enjoy the site of my truck backing off their jobsite.
I've done 2 bundles, just to do it, but going up the ladder all I could feel was the compression of my vertebra all the way down my spine each step. I figured I squat a hell of a lot more than that at the gym, but it's way different when it's across a shoulder instead of across your back.

I'm 6', 210lbs and low body fat (sub 10%), I weight train/body build and I could carry 2 up, but the time it takes to do it, I can make 2 trips just as fast with half the effort, it just does not make any sense for anyone to do it IMO. 90% of the jobs done, I show up to help unload the truck, but 95% of them we have delivered on the roof.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Two bundles...GFY...."let me see you do it"

there's too many factors that amount to how much gets done. Time management is so important. Bottom line is how much can be torn off and secured before you leave.....weather, repairs, valleys etc....5 yrs experience should know the ropes.

We had a rocky summer here as far as rain goes. Check the weather in the AM, estimate what you can do, then you're committed to finish whatever you chose to bite off...watch the weather and be prepared for plan B....Maybe you stay later then planned, or are fortunate enough to get more done.

I don't care....I will not work 'till sundown. I have a life and I want it to last.

I think the OP was too vague to decide if the crew stayed within average tear off parameters. I vote HO.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
That's really slow.

A few weeks ago had 5 tear off and put on 23 squares house 2 story garage one story detached 4/12 one layer totaly cleaned up in 6.25 hours. Last Summer got a 22sq tear off done and cleaned up in 4.5 hours, we had 8 of us those, 4 installers with 15-35 years experiance each and 4 tenders. As far as experiance with tenders that don't matter too much, that is as long as they can "hustle" and are not complete idiots. Joe knows what I mean!

3 guys with 7 years total experiance aint saying much for a roofing crew!!! I guess I was there once though...

·
APPLIED RIGHT
383 Posts

One layer tears,walkable 20-25 sq,crew of 4 -Tore off,papered,shingled,cleaned-up and paid 1 day.Do it all the time.25-30 sq of cedar,tore off,sheeted,papered,same crew-2 days.And I didnt think we were that fast.Any longer and your profits dwindle.It always goes faster when the boss sticks around,lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd say anyone who's packing bundles needs to find a yard with a boom truck. It's a stupid waste of time to stock a roof from the ground. I understand there are a few remote areas that don't have that service, but I've never been to a city that didn't have a yard with trucks that can deliver to the roof.

2 days for 3 guys is way too slow. Perhaps if that includes a bunch of repairs, but not just tear off. Heat can slow you down, but not that much.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Rule of thumb walkable roof, two guys in can tear off and hand nail 8 sq in 8 hours:thumbsup:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rule of thumb walkable roof, two guys in can tear off and hand nail 8 sq in 8 hours:thumbsup:
I would say that would be a good way to estimate your jobs and if you can get a little better time , more profit . I have said for years that I am not doing my own roofs any more and will sub them out . This year I have finally done that and it's great . I always loved to pack two at least once on roof job and to show the "kids" I am still able to hold my own . I would never require it from an employee , only for bragging rights . Those days are officially over !:thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input guys - just like I thought though, input is pretty varied. I think my problem is mainly one guy - he's the one with the most experience. Gonna be looking for another to take his place I think.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts