Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I asked what I thought was a legitimate question on biding labor for a cedar siding job that I was asked to quote.
All I was looking for was what people are paying or charging.
One of your "Professionals" on the site said that I must be a "home owner" looking to make sure the sub's don't make to much money and that GC’s hire sub’s, not are sub’s
Well here in my part of the world guys do both.
I have been a carpenter for 30+ years and have owned my own company for the past 13+ years. I do both General Contracting as well as sub- contracting.
I work for several “Real General Contractors”, five of them for that matter but none of them full time. I do my stuff but when I'm slow or between jobs I make a couple of calls and pick up anywhere from a few days to several months of work.

I don’t work for “Keyboard Professionals” or “Brief Case” GC’s, because they can talk-up (or type) a job but that’s about it.
Oh sure they sell a job or two and write a few checks but they couldn't build a dog house if they had to.
So no I won’t be going over to the DIY side of this forum.
Maybe you should ask some of the other “Professionals” to go instead

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Da Boss said:
Last night I asked what I thought was a legitimate question on biding labor for a cedar siding job that I was asked to quote. All I was looking for was what people are paying or charging. One of your "Professionals" on the site said that I must be a "home owner" looking to make sure the sub's don't make to much money and that GC’s hire sub’s, not are sub’s Well here in my part of the world guys do both. I have been a carpenter for 30+ years and have owned my own company for the past 13+ years. I do both General Contracting as well as sub- contracting. I work for several “Real General Contractors”, five of them for that matter but none of them full time. I do my stuff but when I'm slow or between jobs I make a couple of calls and pick up anywhere from a few days to several months of work. I don’t work for “Keyboard Professionals” or “Brief Case” GC’s, because they can talk-up (or type) a job but that’s about it. Oh sure they sell a job or two and write a few checks but they couldn't build a dog house if they had to. So no I won’t be going over to the DIY side of this forum. Maybe you should ask some of the other “Professionals” to go instead
you asked a pricing question, that's a no no on here. Why don't you talk to guys in your area about what the charge to do that?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,710 Posts
We have a policy here that "going rate" questions are not allowed. One reason for that is that in a sense there's no such thing. Sure, I could tell you that here in central PA such a job would run X to Y dollars, but that's almost meaningless in your home market area. Prices vary widely across the country; even in neighboring communities.

I can't know if you are a painstaking high-end craftsman or a schlock. That would affect the price you can command.

I don't know your cost of doing business. I don't know how many employees you have, or what outstanding loans you're paying on. Or whether your office is a shiny building downtown or the floor of your truck.

With 30 years' experience, you should have a pretty good idea of how long any given task in this trade will take you to do. You should have a good idea of how much you need to make in that time in order to keep your head above water.

We encourage people to think for themselves, not rely on what "some guy on the internet" said. You'd do much better with asking advice on how to go about figuring what to charge. :thumbsup:

And yes, unfortunately, all too often we do have homeowners show up here disguised as fellow pros, looking for free advice from those who have paid their dues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey if I asked a question that's off limits like pricing or estimating labor then shame on me.
I looked over the rules,I didn't see that part.

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
How-To Questions: Contractor Talk is a site for professional contractors to come and share business and trade knowledge. From time to time everyone runs into new situations that they’ve never seen before or that they need help with. While it’s fine for members to ask for help it’s not OK for members to ask how-to questions when they are clearly in over their head or don’t have the experience needed to complete the task. How-To threads will be closed on a case by case basis.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,710 Posts
I looked over the rules,I didn't see that part.
I suppose that's shame on us to a certain extent. It's not a written rule, but it is a policy the staff here chooses to enforce. It's made life a lot easier since we've done so. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts