Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lean-To Style Cedar Greenhouse utilizing recycled sashes with polycarbonate roof

25' long.
12' deep.
10' tall where connects to house
6' tall along furthest wall from house
On a concrete slab already in place.
Include one side door (6 light), with screen door.
Include 120V Gable Fan on thermostatic control on opposite side of door.
Install one small client provided double hung vinyl window near door.
Include one cedar 25' shelf along far side. ($200 worth of cedar 2x4's)
Screw mount 16 insulated sashes along far wall. (Two rows)
I'm charging client $20 a piece for these used sashes. They are roughly 2-8 x 3-0 = ($320)
Install two client provided round top windows each 3-6 x 5-0 into the side walls

The roofing with be clear 14' polycarbonate panels on 24" centers of 2x10 rough sawn cedar. The panels and will costs about $500 in materials
I was quoted $60 a piece for 14- 14' 2x10's (Georgia)($900)

The three walls are framed with rough sawn cedar 2x4's :
spaced as wide as the sashes (about 32") along the front and then 16" centers on the sides.

The 2x4's were around $18 apiece at 16' and I will order about 30. (600)

stain all of it with a clear oil of some sort...?

My numbers come in around $10K. I'm kind of new at this and tend to undervalue my service, yet I do awesome work. Tired of getting my nuts cut off, so someone please tell me that my quote is too cheap.

Attachments

·
Design Build
8,544 Posts
At some point in this business...you figure out what it will take YOU to do the task..............................................................and that's your bid.

Low or high...you'll get a yes or no from the customer.

If I can do it for $1000 less than you...do you REALLY want to try and match that. Chances are you'll lose money. That's never good.

Never mind.................too much typing:sleep1:

ditto what Mac said.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
This one was about treefiddy...

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
Go to Business section - Pricing Estimating Success thread

Learn your numbers so you don't get your nuts cut off. Even with all the numbers listed above we can't tell you if you are charging enough, too much or not enough. We don't know how fast you work, what your OH is, or what your Profit / Rainy Day Fund goals are

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
A shower in the ballpark? That'll cost'em:laughing:

Didn't see any plumbing in your numbers...

$10,674 (+ sales tax on mat.)..........see, you're way too low:laughing:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My apologies

I wanted a quick guesstimate as what you would tell yer buddy, when he asks you "about how much is a greenhouse like this gonna costs me?".

The term 'ballpark'...ahh nevermind.

Looks like knuckhead got it, but I wonder if he thibks I am building a ballpark?

Eitherway, thanks Knuckle, I'm gonna rethink my estimate.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I wanted a quick guesstimate as what you would tell yer buddy, when he asks you "about how much is a greenhouse like this gonna costs me?".

The term 'ballpark'...ahh nevermind.

Looks like knuckhead got it, but I wonder if he thibks I am building a ballpark?

Eitherway, thanks Knuckle, I'm gonna rethink my estimate.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say nobody thought you where building a ballpark...And,again,out on a limb,but I think Knuckelhead may have been joking...

We need to get a sarcasm smilie...:blink:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Actually, what you wanted (for free) was an exact bid (or bids) to compare against your own. I mean, you were very specific in the details, down to line item material costs.

As for 'buddy'?...you've got 17 posts total on this site - no one here even knows you, let alone considers you a buddy. Oh yeah, that, and my buddies don't ask me how much...when I build for my buddies, they pay me in BBQ and beer!

No, no one thinks you're building a ballpark. What we're doin' collectively is givin' you a ration of sh*t for asking a 'How much do I charge' question. Those are not outlawed here, however they are ridiculed (for free).

As for your nuts, might I suggest wearing a protective cup when presenting your next bid...

Mac

·
Registered
117 Posts
stain all of it with a clear oil of some sort...?

I would use Crystal Clear Wing Oil, made from the tears of angels, very expensive though. I have the right contacts. Cost is $ 4000 a quart. Based on the size of your projects I'd say you need about $24,468 worth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I wont ask that question again. Your hazing was effective.

I now realize that I am going about the estimating process backwards.

Thanks for bustin my balls.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts