Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Stud
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suggested to a developer that he should crush all the existing asphalt & concrete at his site & we could use it for the roads & driveways. I noticed that the pile of hardpac has quite a bit of weeds growing on it. I came to find out the crushing company also crushed an existing stone foundation but didn't do a good job of removing the loam from the stones. I am now worried that I may have problems using this material. Would you use this material? Can it be treated?

·
Contractor
7,912 Posts
Well, weeds can be killed if that is the issue. As far as contaminating the aggregates with soil, screening would remove the soil but at what cost...I don't know.

Will you be responsible for the finished product?

When the liability lays on me, I buy new.

I will tell you this, I was involved in a re-do of a paver entrance to a local restaurant (10,000 sq/ft.).
The builder had instructed the excavator who preped the site to reuse stone from an existing driveway on the property and make up any shortage with soil.

I believe by the time we tore out the failing paver system and replaced it with new materials, the bill was well over $400K.

Cover your butt. The excavator of that project did, he had change orders for credits to the builder for aggregates not provided, $$, that were in the original contract.

·
Stud
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm worried about 2 things:
1. Weeds or grass coming through asphalt
2. Problems with driveway or road due to loam mixed with hardpac.

I don't think there is a lot of loam mixed with hardpac but don't want any problems in the long run. I would be using 4"-6" of hardpac for fine grading on top of bank run gravel (3"-6" stones). I'm not sure how to approach the developer considering I gave him the idea to crush existing material on-site instead of disposing it to keep costs down.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Buy a screener and convince the developer to pay you to screen it. You gotta think here man, there is money to be made.

·
Stud
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crushing company already screened the material into two piles. 2"-3" rip rap to be used for the stone pad construction entrances & 3/4" hardpac for roads & driveways. I found out that the stone foundation was in a wet area so the operator didn't take time to separate loam from stones. I keep wondering if some loam mixed in hardpac will give me problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts